TomTom not working

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
johnnywoz
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

TomTom not working

Post by johnnywoz »

Is there something I need to do to enable the GPS function on the TomTom & iPhone?

I have put my iPhone into the TomTom cradle, and plugged in the power cord. I goto the LapTimer Pro app and check the Sensors. The TomTom sensor does not seem to be active, the status dot is red.

Sorry for being a dumb a**, maybe I missed reading something in the manual.

Thanx,
-JohnW
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Johnnywoz - Atomic Orange Z06 #65
HLT-GP, iPhone5, X150, BT1, GPHero3
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TomTom not working

Post by Harry »

Hi John,

Please check if the TomTom car kit is connected correctly. To get a 'second oppinion', start the TomTom app named 'car kit tool' you can download for free from AppStore. This app will show you the docking status. A common problem is the compatibility between the iPhone4 and the TomTom car kit. Please check this http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/25/ipho ... th-velcro/ to get a work around to make both devices together.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
johnnywoz
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by johnnywoz »

Harry,
Thank you for the quick reply and tips. I did not need to do the velcro thing as the TomTom I got is iPhone4 specific. I did try it though, but then could not get the iPhone to fit, too much thickness :lol:

I also d/l the car kit app, did not know about that so thank you, and it would not show that the iPhone was docked. So it looks like I have a bum unit :cry: and will need to get it replaced.

Thank you for the great support, and love you app!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Johnnywoz - Atomic Orange Z06 #65
HLT-GP, iPhone5, X150, BT1, GPHero3
90stsmiata
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by 90stsmiata »

I bought the TomTom car kit yesterday and was having a similar problem getting it to dock even after attaching the iPhone 4 adapter. Only after I added a fuzzy velcro patch on top of the adapter was the switch getting pushed back far enough for the TomTom Car Kit app to show the phone as "docked".

After the velcro is added, begin with the car off and phone screen locked and the TomTom plugged in to the cigar lighter, turn the key to acc/on and the chime for charging will be heard. Unlock the phone and dismiss the warning. You should now be able to pair with Bluetooth and get a fix after some time with the LapTimer app.(I also restarted the phone before these steps, not sure if that factored in?)

It took a couple attempts, and the phone is harder to get plugged into the connector, but my TomTom car kit now is functioning with the HLT app.

This is with iPhone 4 running OS 4.3.3 (8J2) with TomTom car kit model 4UUB4 with firmware 0.0.49 & hardware 1.0.0
Joe Sandoval
1990 Mazda Miata
SCCA Solo - STS
mla163
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by mla163 »

90stsmiata wrote:I bought the TomTom car kit yesterday and was having a similar problem getting it to dock even after attaching the iPhone 4 adapter. Only after I added a fuzzy velcro patch on top of the adapter was the switch getting pushed back far enough for the TomTom Car Kit app to show the phone as "docked".

After the velcro is added, begin with the car off and phone screen locked and the TomTom plugged in to the cigar lighter, turn the key to acc/on and the chime for charging will be heard. Unlock the phone and dismiss the warning. You should now be able to pair with Bluetooth and get a fix after some time with the LapTimer app.(I also restarted the phone before these steps, not sure if that factored in?)

It took a couple attempts, and the phone is harder to get plugged into the connector, but my TomTom car kit now is functioning with the HLT app.

This is with iPhone 4 running OS 4.3.3 (8J2) with TomTom car kit model 4UUB4 with firmware 0.0.49 & hardware 1.0.0
Thanks for the help. I have an iphone 4 and the connection was not being made even with the spacer provided in the box. I used a piece of foam tape as a spacer. Works fine now.

I have also found that masking tape around the mount / swivel keeps the setup from rotating.
MBerry
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by MBerry »

I have a problem using TomTom Car Kit with iPhone and LapTimer

iPhone: 3GS OS v4.3.3
LapTimer: v13.4 Professional
TomTom Car Kit: Model 4UUB4, Firmware 0.0.53, Hardware 1.0.0

When I connect the iPhone 3GS to the TomTom CarKit and start the TomTom CarKit app
it clearly indicates "Docked" and outdorrs it even shows "Fix aquired".

This gives me the impression TomTom CarKit and the connection to iPhone 3GS is working well.
When I start the LapTimer app and navigate to the sensor list it show TomTom Car Kit in the list, but with a red dot "not available".

Did I miss anything? Is there something that has to be configured in the iPhone and/or LapTimer to enable external sensors?

To verify general sensor connection i used a PLX Kiwi Wifi, which showed up in the sensor list as connected immediately.

Any suggestion what to do?

regards

MBerry
MBerry
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by MBerry »

TomTom CarKit is WORKING!

Was my fault! I should read the docs in more detail.
As TomTom CarKit is a NMEA device this has to be enabled in the Settings of LapTimer.

Problem solved.

It would be very helpful if in the sensor list which shows "well known sensors" like TomTom CarKit and PLX Kiwi Wifi
an indication that it is an NMEA device.

regards

Heiko
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The sensors with direct NMEA access show the golden star. NMEA is enabled by default, so the problem described is - keep my fingers cross - rare.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image