Emprum UltiMate GPS 3.0.0

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
Gernby
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Emprum UltiMate GPS 3.0.0

Post by Gernby »

Has anyone upgraded their UltiMate GPS to version 3.0.0, and verified that it works with HLT 14.4? If so, does it give any noticeable improvement in rate or connection time? Is there enough reason to "fix something that ain't broke"?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Emprum UltiMate GPS 3.0.0

Post by Harry »

Hi,

The app is not needed for LapTimer use. It is simply a utility to add firmware updates, test function, and other gimmicks. So no problem from my point of view.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Gernby
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Gernby »

I guess I should have been more clear, since my concern is more about the firmware update that I assume accompanies 3.0.0. The description of the new version doesn't mention whether there is a new firmware, but it does mention things that sound like firmware enhancements.
Emprum
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Emprum »

Hi Gernby,

Regarding the UltiMate GPS App v3.0.0, it does not include any new firmware. Original UltiMate GPS production units were shipped with firmware 1.0.4 so we always include the latest firmware in any app updates so that users who have never upgraded from firmware 1.0.4 can easily do so.

So if you are already at firmware 1.0.6 (which sounds like you are already), the app won't let you upgrade firmware again. It will tell you your firmware is already up to date.

Just as a side note, the firmware upgrader in the app was designed to be foolproof :-) . Even if the user would unplug the accessory or quit the app during a firmware upgrade, nothing will happen to the accessory and you would just restart the app and try again.

With respect to v3.0.0 of the UltiMate GPS App, it includes AGPS data upload. This has nothing to do with the firmware though (although the upload process will look similar from a user interface point of view). What the "Upload to Accessory" button does is upload two weeks of AGPS data (assisted GPS data) to the accessory. AGPS data contains satellite orbit information to be used by the GPS engine in the accessory to achieve faster locks.

Give it a shot and upload AGPS data with the new app and you will notice that you have faster lock times (in the mornings) when you start first using the accessory again after it has been of for a large amount of hours or a day for example.

From my own experience, I usually use the accessory in the early morning while driving, then normally don't use the accessory again till the next morning. With AGPS data uploaded, I can see a much faster lock than without AGPS data uploaded. Typically it improves from about 30sec to 15secs.

There is a "Clear Accessory" button in the new version of the app as well, so you can put this to the test yourself. Just try it out one morning without AGPS data (just clear the AGPS data with the "Clear Accessory" button) and then the next day, try it with AGPS data uploaded. I am sure you will notice what I am trying to describe here ;)

But note that you won't see any difference if the accessory has already gotten a lock on a certain day and then immediately you try again as then the accessory will be going from a hot start (which is usually only a few seconds) compared to a warm start. In order to see the faster lock times, at least some hours need to have passed between your experiments (so that satellites will have moved significantly in orbit in that period).

Hope the above explanation is clear. If not, feel free to ask any further questions.

Roger from Emprum
Gernby
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Gernby »

I can't say I followed the AGPS description, but I am glad to hear that there wouldn't be a risk to updating the software.

Would the AGPS data help HLT achieve a quicker lock as well?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes. You need to update the AGPS data regularly however...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Gernby
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Gernby »

Interesting. Any chance HLT 15.0 might include automatic updating of the AGPS data? :)
Emprum
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Emprum »

Hi Gernby,

After you upload the AGPS data to the accessory, that data is on the accessory itself and will stay there so any app will see the faster lock time. It basically makes the hardware faster and is as such independent of the app that is running.

The AGPS data only needs to be uploaded once every two weeks (or whenever you need it). The UltiMate GPS App needs to be used for the upload; you won't be able to do that with HLT.

Lastly, uploading that data is optional. The accessory will also work without it.

Roger from Emprum