Bad Elf Lightning for iPhone 5s

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
johnny
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Bad Elf Lightning for iPhone 5s

Post by johnny »

I've been using HLT for a few years now on my motorcycles at the track. I'm ready to step up to an external GPS. I like the idea of the Bad Elf Lightning mostly due to the battery drain of using Bluetooth. I only see one recent comment on it from Harry that it now should work right. Can anyone confirm if it works well and gets 10Hz?
If anyone can confirm, please do. I want to get one in the next day or two.
Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bad Elf Lightning for iPhone 5s

Post by Harry »

Yes, it is giving you 10 Hz.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Niemanj
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Niemanj »

Hi,

I used the Bad Elf lightning for the first time last weekend but got spotty results. Some laps were at 10hz and some at 1hz. I had issues getting good results. I have not checked all of the sessions but I think most were recorded at 1hz. I'm using both the Kiwi3 and the Bad Elf as well as a GoPro Hero4 through Wifi. Not sure if the Bad Elf and Kiwi3 interfere as I never had any issues with the Kiwi before but now also had a few session without OBD data. I'm using an IPhone 6s. I wonder if there any other people out there with Bad Elf experience.

Thanks, Jan
Niemanj
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Niemanj »

Update from Bad Elf

I've just heard back from our engineers, apologies there has been a good deal of travel on this end due to the summer holidays. They have been able to replicate what you are seeing and it is related to apps making direct connection to our devices. This is how our app calls for data and how HLT is getting the higher resolution information - the "handoff" between the Elfs isn't occurring as elegantly as it could be. They are now trakcing down the where this issue occurs for a permanent solution. The fix for now is to start HLT without out app running in the background.