XGPS150 5 Hz update.

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
mmason3122
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: XGPS150 5 Hz update.

Post by mmason3122 »

Hi I have the same thing but the aquracey is at 5ft static

I will be using it in week and see what I get.

Harry I am one happy customer / user!!

Just incredible
mmason3122
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by mmason3122 »

I have a question on how people are mounting the GPS in a car.

I have a bmw race car and using harrys laptimer as data logger and I have the dual xps150 and looking for mounting suggestions.

I am think of cementing the rubber pad to the dash sung epoxy or is there a roll bar mount?
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

No additional mounts as far as I know. The rubber pad, and some velcro stripes you can attach through the back of the Dual. You could use those on the roll cage. Don't know your roll cage, but if it hasn't a bar running through / by the dashboard other positions (like the top windshield bar) won't be that good for the GPS reception I guess. You said racecar...have you seen the new VBOX Sport receiver? 20hz, very accurate and even has an external antenna plug. It's supported in the Grand Prix edition of HLT.
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

Mine gets velcro'd to the centre of the dash, up against the windscreen
H
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

i-Zapp
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by i-Zapp »

to those struggling with the firmware updater, here's the solution...

The updater starts with the message “WRITE STARTED”, then about 30sec later a brief message indicates a read verify error, and keeps repeating forever.

I noticed that the updater claims to have found the XGPS on "COM3", although my device manager says its actually COM5.

I did this via device manager:
• Determined that Com3 was being used by my modem
• disabled my modem by right clicking
• Reassigned XGPS port to Com3 even though it says its "used"; just acknowledge the warning; the setting is found by right clicking, selecting properties, and then look the under port settings|advanced
• Unplugged XGPS
• Restarted the process (the XGPS now shows up as Com3 in device manager)
• set my com ports back to normal

with this i was able to get my update completed in 2:01 secs.

enjoy.

You folks should rewrite your firmware updater to make it more flexible (and better detect which port the XGSP is actually on).
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks i-Zapp for posting your solution. Please note the updater is a product of Dual, not Harry's LapTimer.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Pb Foot
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Pb Foot »

@ i-zapp

I also had the same issue with the updater --- I used your instructions and they worked perfectly thanks! It appears the shitty dual software ALWAYS assumes COM3.
crofrog
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by crofrog »

I'm running v17.0.4 and v1.2.6 of the dual firmware on hardware v1.2.0. On an iphone 4

sitting still outside in clear sky I was only able to get 4hz.

I also noticed the updates where coming in clusters instead of evenly.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The data recordings from "4Hz receivers" I have seen so far deliver fixes aligned to .00, .25, .50, .75 seconds alignment (instead of .00, .20, .40, .60, .80). I have never analyzed the distance between the fixes to understand they come at the same distance (while driving a constant speed). Can you please check the timing alignment of the plot above? The clustering can have another reason too: in case you have compression turned on (see LapTimer Settings), LapTimer may remove some fixes that do not add additional information (i.e. can be recalculated by interpolating).

- Harry

Btw: both GPS accuracy and plot are of excellent quality.
Image Image Image Image
markchristenson
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by markchristenson »

I haven't been able to get better than 4 Hz with the 1.3.1 firmware (that is what came with my unit). I called Dual and their help desk was completely unhelpful. I've emailed them and not received a response. Kind of bummed that I'm getting 20% less fixes, but it is a big improvement over the internal iPhone receiver.