XGPS150 5 Hz update.

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: XGPS150 5 Hz update.

Post by Harry »

markchristenson wrote:I haven't been able to get better than 4 Hz with the 1.3.1 firmware (that is what came with my unit). I called Dual and their help desk was completely unhelpful. I've emailed them and not received a response. Kind of bummed that I'm getting 20% less fixes, but it is a big improvement over the internal iPhone receiver.
It seems there are both 4Hz and 5Hz versions of the device. I've been told by Dual the 4 and 5 Hz chipsets used have their pros and cons. While 5 Hz has the advantage of delivering 5 Hz :-) the (newer) 4 Hz chipset delivers better precision of position - despite the nominally slower speed.

So I do not think the 4 Hz version is a real disadvantage.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
markchristenson
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by markchristenson »

That's good to know--appreciate the feedback! I will say that at the most recent track day the times were either the same as the transponder or only .01 seconds off!
Blitz05
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Blitz05 »

Wait, so am I not mistaken from reading markchristenson's initial post, that someone buying a new XGPS150 unit, could very well be getting a unit with a more up-to-date firmware on it than the 1.2.6 beta firmware?

So again...buying a NEW XGPS150 at this point in the game, one could very well be hitting 4.0-5.0 Hz on HLT?

Of course...I know Dual has released the XGPS160 as well, which is a 10 Hz. No firmware updates required for that bad boy to get it to work right?
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

" No firmware updates required for that bad boy to get it to work right?"

Not so far. It looks to me like the XGPS160 is definitely worth the extra cost.
Blitz05
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Blitz05 »

gplracerx wrote:" No firmware updates required for that bad boy to get it to work right?"

Not so far. It looks to me like the XGPS160 is definitely worth the extra cost.
Hmm...looks like I'll be gifting the XGPS150 to a friend while I order a XGPS160 for myself. Only prerequisite to friend, "You gotta buy the HLT from iTunes" ;)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Like that! :-) A Dual never feels good without Harry's LapTimer!
Image Image Image Image
Blitz05
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Blitz05 »

On a side note, received the XGPS150 and decided to toy with it. Out of the box, it can handle 5 hz now :)
vincenzo
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by vincenzo »

Hey guys - thanks for the useful thread! I just got a Dual XGPS150 for Christmas and am trying to set it up with Harrys Laptimer on ANDROID.

I'm having a couple of problems, but mainly it boils down to that I can't get it to connect @ 5 hz. I see it connected, but it says only 1 hz.

Here's what I've tried:

Updating firmware
I ran into the "endless loop" described in an earlier post and haven't been able to get the firmware updated. HOWEVER, when I see the status messages, I think I'm already on v1.2.6 since it says "Found XGPS150 x.1.2.6 on COM3" in the status. So not sure if updating the firmware (even if I could) would do anything?

Any help is appreciated. Is there some setting in Harrys that I need to change for it to run 5 hz mode? Again, this is on the Android version.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

To switch the XGP150 from 1 Hz to 5 Hz you need the firmware you have already and you need to send "S05FFFFFFFF" + Newline to the GPS once. While the iOS version of LapTimer does this for you, this initialization is not sent in the Android version. In case you can connect your GPS to a PC and send this sequence to it it will be in 5 Hz mode permanently. I add this item to LapTimer Android feature list but cannot commit a release date yet.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
vincenzo
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by vincenzo »

Thanks Harry! I'm not sure of how to do that via the PC, but will look into it.

In case I'm not able to figure it out, would it work if I have a friend with an iPhone connect to my GPS once using their device and then connect it later to my Android device? Would that do the trick?