XGPS150 5 Hz update.

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
Deako80
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: XGPS150 5 Hz update.

Post by Deako80 »

Got my XGPS150e today. Came shipped with quite an early version. Updated to 1.2.6 no probs. only managed to get it to report 4hz so far. Will try in more ideal conditions.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

This most probably means it has a 4 Hz chip set. As written above, the 4 Hz chip sets show better reception and stability compared to the 5 Hz chip set. But it is certainly a little slower... So there are pros and cons.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
NotFast
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by NotFast »

I was going to post here looking for help, but I managed to get everything to work now. I thought I would post my experience here anyway as it may help someone else in the future.

My XGPS150A came shipped from Amazon (ordered on 1/5/13) with the 5hz update already installed. There is no need to download and go through the update process. (I only found out after trying to run the update but getting stuck in the write/read loop like others in this thread.)

However, for Android users, you have to make sure your Harry's Lap Timer is the newest version to get the GPS to connect at 5hz. For some reason Harry's is the only app I have that does not update automatically, so I had to go to the Google Play Store and update it manually. After the update everything worked fine and I can connect at 5hz.
nilfinite
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by nilfinite »

I've been successfully using the XGPS150A with the 5hz updating for a couple of events last year and this year. For the last 2 events though, I've been getting strange errors where I would randomly get no more GPS updates. Turning everything off then turning it back on hasn't helped. Really frustrating not being able to use this awesome tool!

Any idea if this is a common issue? If I open up the XGPS status tool, it'll show up but HLT won't connect. If I open up another app and come back to HLT (without force-closing), it'll usually lose the GPS.

Specs:
iPhone 5s (iOS 7.1.1)
XPGS150A (1.2.6)
Harry Petrolhead (18.0.15)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

There is a known bug that has been introduced with iOS7.1 and is still there in iOS7.1.1. This bug is related to frequent connects / unconnected to BT accessories. In case this happens, accessories are no longer able to send data (to an app). I'm told Apple is working on this and will release a fix in iOS7.1.2. There is no committed release date, so we need to wait.

To workaround, you will sometimes need to restart the iPhone. Often it helps to power cycle the device and turn it on while LapTimer is already running. Switching between apps using the accessories is certainly counter productive as this generates additional connects / disconnects. This problem appeared for all BT based GPS devices lately.

I will run some additional tests with my XGPS160 and my VBOX Sport the next days to look for further workarounds - I have no XGPS150 available currently.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
duefaccia
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by duefaccia »

Harry,

I just received a new XGPS160 ... are you aware of any issues connecting the device to an IPad Mini wifi ?

I am trying to get it to connect to a Toshiba P75 Laptop also ... with no success at this time. Windows 8 logs it in as a Device - XGPS160-3DECBF - but shows it as offline. It will not connect ...

Regards :) tim
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

It should not be a problem to connect the XGPS to any of the named devices. The current limitations in connection stability are described in the post above. For the other platforms I'm not an expert, you may consider to contact Dual on this. I assume you are aware you need to pair the XGPS160 once with your iPad Mini?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
nilfinite
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by nilfinite »

Harry,

I was able to use HLT despite the BT issues this weekend. The way I was able to make it work was by force-closing HLT, then opening the Dual GPS Status Tool (to confirm the XGPS150 was working), then reopening HLT.

Basically anytime I send HLT into the background, put the iPhone into standby or if the iPhone connects to another Bluetooth device (the OBD2 reader for instance), it fails.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, it is not impossible to use BT devices when keeping a certain order. :-) The important thing is you need to check the connection every time you leave the pits - it may have dropped because you send the app to background or connected another devices etc... I posted this global announcement on the current state: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2214

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
devenh
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by devenh »

Have you had a chance to test 7.1.2 and see if the bug is fixed?