XGPS150 5 Hz update.

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
dpollard
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: XGPS150 5 Hz update.

Post by dpollard »

As always, very thankful to Harry for this product - and to this forums members for support

I received a XGPS150A today - and unlike the previous other bluetooth GPS devices, this one works a treat on my (now) factory normal iPhone 4 (not S)

I did have to download the firmware update (v1.2.6, which has a different installer to that shown on the Dual website), but even under a VM Image of Windows 7 on my Mac, it installed first time in about 4 minutes. Now getting a constant 3.9Hz refresh, which may not be 5, but is still four more times better than the built in iPhone GPS. Just hope it all works with iOS6 and the iPhone 5.....
skyphab
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by skyphab »

Thanks for all the hints and recommendations!
Used my XGPS150 first time on track this week and worked flawlessly with the updated firmware at 5Hz.

@ dpollard : The refresh rate depends on the numbers of satellites and accuracy the device is able to achieve. At least that's my impression.
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tulloch »

Why do people put the @ character in front of usernames on a forum? Forum software doesn't recognise it as anything other than what it is. This isn't Twitter. Just curious that's all.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The @ to talk to a specific person has not been invented by Twitter. Instead, it just means AT to make clear this is an answer to the specific poster. That's used on forum for decades ;-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

skyphab wrote:Thanks for all the hints and recommendations!
Used my XGPS150 first time on track this week and worked flawlessly with the updated firmware at 5Hz.

@ dpollard : The refresh rate depends on the numbers of satellites and accuracy the device is able to achieve. At least that's my impression.
The update rate is the number of "RMC" NMEA sentences with valid data received per second.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
skyphab
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by skyphab »

Well, I encountered the @ for addressing a comment to a person at first 17 or 18 years ago when there was no Internet and Mailboxes were the digital place to chat with people :)
Harry wrote:
The update rate is the number of "RMC" NMEA sentences with valid data received per second.

- Harry
But the better the GPS-device's "connection" the more valid data is recived, isn't it?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, you will see the rate falls once you drive through a covered area (like a tunnel).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tulloch »

Ok, thanks. I've never really noticed this being used much on forums, quoting seems to be the accepted convention.
cwatson
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by cwatson »

A note on the driver update:

The DUAL firmware update software goes through the COM ports in order and tries to update the first (COM #) device it thinks is the XGPS. In my case, it was trying to reflash the internal modem on the computer.

I used Windows 7 and had to do the following (which should apply to other versions):

Install the Prolific Driver.

Run the firmware update. Note which COM port it is attempting to update. Use task manager to kill the process.

Hook up the XGPS and query the COM ports to determine which one it is on. If it's not the first device (my comp started searching at COM3), reassign your COM ports so that the XGPS is equal to or lower than the COM number the firmware tried to update on the first attempt.

Reassigning COM ports is handled in the device manager. I suggest starting with your modem, as it was the device which gave me problems.

Once you have reassigned your COM ports so that the XGPS is a low number, confirm that the DUAL firmware update software is installing to the correct COM port.

Hope this helps,

Chris
cyril94440
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by cyril94440 »

I get a maximum of 4Hz any idea ?