Accessory options screen for Vbox Sport

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
FergusH
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Accessory options screen for Vbox Sport

Post by FergusH »

Hi,

I have a Vbox Sport. If I go to Administration > Sensor List, then tap on the connected Vbox Sport, I get a dialog box that has several options, including "Satellites" and "DGPS". "Satellites" is off; "DGPS" is on.

Can someone explain what these two options mean and why satellites is turned off?

Thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Accessory options screen for Vbox Sport

Post by Harry »

That's the default for stock VBOX Sport devices. When turning on satellites, the VBOX will send addition NMEA sentences with a description of current satellites (position, status). In case you have the Satellites View in you LapTimer addition (iOS), you get this information displayed. Adding satellites info will require a bit more bandwidth, but it worked for me at 20 Hz.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
FergusH
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by FergusH »

Thanks, Harry. So, there is no benefit in terms of accuracy in turning on the satellites option? Correct?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No, just addition information. To improve accuracy, please add an external antenna. It is mandatory from my point of view.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
FergusH
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by FergusH »

Thanks.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Harry wrote:No, just addition information. To improve accuracy, please add an external antenna. It is mandatory from my point of view.

Harry
I'll second that.

I still prefer the Dual XGPS160 even if it only updates at 10 Hz. It sees, on average, twice as many satellites from the dash as the VBOX Sport with an external antenna because it can access the GLONASS satellites too. It's less expensive too.
FergusH
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by FergusH »

That's interesting. I have noticed that the Vbox tends to lose coverage more often. However, my plan was to use the Vbox as a backup to Harry's Laptimer for logging, so I was hoping to also use it for the GPS.