Bad-Elf?

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
_sadpanda
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Bad-Elf?

Post by _sadpanda »

Anyone try the Bad-Elf products? Specifically this 10mhz GLONASS unit

Good price point and seems to get MUCH better support then the Dual or Garmin unit

The Pro+ is interesting too. Too bad the android support is lacking so
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bad-Elf?

Post by Harry »

They are not interested in cooperating with 3rd parties. The device missed a public interface that can be used for better accuracy and richer information. Please check the compatibility page on www.gps-laptimer.de for more information. Same issue with Garmin. The Dual has this interface.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
_sadpanda
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by _sadpanda »

Ya, sorry Harry; I found a thread further down not long after posting but my post had not appeared yet so I could not go back and retract. Search more, post less...

Its a shame because the hardware seems to be top notch. Price point is great on some of the stuff as well.

After some more research, I think I'm going to go with the GLO and shell out for a used AT&T iPad mini. I'm an android guy but there are other compelling reasons to go this route:

My marine GPS (GPSMap 478) was stolen out of my truck and has been sorely missed. It was the perfect size and had all of the features I wanted... However they do not make it any more and used/refurb units are not far from what I paid new.

Garmin has a iOS apps that are essentially ported versions of their chartplotter and terrestrial mapping softwares. They are crippled unless paired with a supporting Garmin device and sure enough, the GLO is one of them.

So I can load HLT on the iPad and use it in the car during HDPE etc and then throw it in the boat as a Chartplotter replacement.

The iPad mini is bigger then the old GPS but I think I can make it work and its still less then 1/2 the price of a replacement GPS. Hopefully it works out of the box...
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The Garmin GLO has actually exactly the same limitation like the Bad Elf. If you opt for one, you can do without downsides for the other. Both accessories do not offer an interface to third parties for iOS. Why not go for the XGPS160 instead? It has the same or better specs then the Bad Elf and Garmin Glo, works with both iOS and Android, and has on open interface for 3rd party apps.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

P.S. The Glo does not even deliver the 10 Hz update rate when used with iOS. For Android, it is working at 10 Hz and can be integrated into LapTimer like any other GPS accessory.
Image Image Image Image
_sadpanda
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by _sadpanda »

I wonder if the GLO delivers 10hz on iOS when connected to their app...

Two reasons:

1) I've never EVER seen a Dual product that wasnt garbage... ie stereos, speakers, installation components etc. and I just don't trust the brand.
2) I'm cool with running HLT on Android
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No, it doesn't. They market it as a 10 Hz device (and it delivers this rate on Android), but they were not able to get the GLO / MfI integration to work with 10 Hz. The it is 10 Hz natively but iOS receives 4 or 5 Hz only. This is a status 2 years ago when I tested it. Maybe they got new firmware to fix this.

Dual Electronics is not related to your experience with the former Dual corporation located in Germany. The brand has been sold over the world. They are limited to use the brand in selected countries only. So no fear, they create excellent GPS devices. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend them... The XGPS160 delivers 10 Hz for both iOS and Android.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ferrarif1
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ferrarif1 »

Harry wrote:They are not interested in cooperating with 3rd parties. The device missed a public interface that can be used for better accuracy and richer information. Please check the compatibility page on http://www.gps-laptimer.de for more information. Same issue with Garmin. The Dual has this interface.

Harry
Harry, I see the bad-elf lightning connector GPS is now on the recommended accessory list, did they fix the accuracy issues?

How does this compare in terms of accuracy and latency to the XGPS160 and VBox Sport?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, Bad-Elf has a public API now. Support has been added for all new LapTimer v21 editions.
I can't comment on accuracy or performance so far. The chipset used will be the same / similar to what Dual uses, at least technical specs (update rates, accuracy, SBAS support) are identically. The Bad Elf comes with the advantage of no wireless connection being required. On the other hand, you are not flexible with positioning it (e.g. on the roof of a car - which is always a significant improvement).

The VBOX Sport is in a different class. Although it is GPS only (no GLONASS support) it will deliver superior accuracy provided you add an external antenna and mount this on the roof. The biggest advantage is it is fully track optimized and not a general purpose compromise like all other GPSes. It is quite expensive on the other side.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
AusStig
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by AusStig »

I just upgraded to iPhone 7 after buying the bad elf gps with lightning connector. I also have audio input from microphones above the exhaust but I no longer have the 3.5mm jack like the 6 had. Any known adapters tat pass the bad elf gps data and audio?

Thanks