Mounting Dual Electronics XGPS160 SkyPro GPS

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
EvolutionX
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Mounting Dual Electronics XGPS160 SkyPro GPS

Post by EvolutionX »

Darn. I already bought 2 Ram suction mounts, a Ram roll bar mount and now I need one for the roof. I am getting between 6 and 9 accuracy. I will get better than that on the roof?

Raining here today but I will test it tomorrow.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mounting Dual Electronics XGPS160 SkyPro GPS

Post by Harry »

It will deliver best possible accuracy all the time. Inside, it will deliver it from time to time. In case you have the option to mount it outside, I'd recommend this. In case you want to have it in reach and more convenient, use a mount like yours.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
EvolutionX
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by EvolutionX »

Harry wrote:It will deliver best possible accuracy all the time. Inside, it will deliver it from time to time. In case you have the option to mount it outside, I'd recommend this. In case you want to have it in reach and more convenient, use a mount like yours.

Harry
How do you guys mount it to the roof?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I had it taped for testing.

-Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

EvolutionX wrote:
Harry wrote:It will deliver best possible accuracy all the time. Inside, it will deliver it from time to time. In case you have the option to mount it outside, I'd recommend this. In case you want to have it in reach and more convenient, use a mount like yours.

Harry
How do you guys mount it to the roof?
I don't. I put it on the dash with a Scotch fastener. I see guys with Qstarz using hook and loop tape mounts glued to the roof. I also don't know how weatherproof the Dual is compared to a Qstarz either. I have a VBOX Sport with a magnetic antenna that can go on the roof, but it's been my experience that the Dual on the dash still sees more satellites than the VBOX Sport with the antenna on the roof because the Dual can use GLONASS and the VBOX Sport can't. I can't prove it, but I think the Dual on the dash has slightly better vertical precision than the VBOX Sport.
macduff
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by macduff »

I emailed Ram Mount Engineering and pointed them to this thread. Would be great if they'd make a custom holder that integrates with the RAM Mount system for this device.
spjonez
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by spjonez »

I'm about to order one of these and I'm wondering where the best place to put it is. Outside the car isn't an option, I could get a visor organizer and put it on in reverse so it faces the windshield with the visor flipped up, or put it in the floor panel organizer in the passenger seat. What do you suggest?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Taped to the roof or behind the windscreen, on your dashboard. Any position within the car will create massive shielding and reduced accuracy.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
flashmasterr
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by flashmasterr »

what about GFK-roofs, or closed convertible roofs, is there an impact to XGPS performance. I have not realy a idea.
spjonez
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by spjonez »

Harry wrote:Taped to the roof or behind the windscreen, on your dashboard. Any position within the car will create massive shielding and reduced accuracy.

- Harry
Thanks! When it arrives I'll see how well the mat holds on my dash. My visor idea is out, I thought it might hang in front of the glass but it won't in my car.