xgps150 with iphone6 / ios8. Known issues?

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
jedi-knight83
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

xgps150 with iphone6 / ios8. Known issues?

Post by jedi-knight83 »

Just missed out on an XGPS160 on eBay last night.. really annoyed. All the others for sale are more than I want to pay right now so I was looking at the XGPS150 instead... but a quick google brought up a few things about it not working with ios8.

Has anyone got it working properly or were the comments on google incorrect anyway.

Thanks
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: xgps150 with iphone6 / ios8. Known issues?

Post by Harry »

There have been issues with integration of all GPS accessories into iOS's location services. All apps relying on this location service could probably not access the data. As LapTimer does not rely on location service at all but integrates recommended GPSes directly (including the 150), there are no issues with LapTimer - which no iOS 8 version and with none of the compatible accessories.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
jedi-knight83
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by jedi-knight83 »

Harry wrote:There have been issues with integration of all GPS accessories into iOS's location services. All apps relying on this location service could probably not access the data. As LapTimer does not rely on location service at all but integrates recommended GPSes directly (including the 150), there are no issues with LapTimer - which no iOS 8 version and with none of the compatible accessories.

- Harry
Oh fantastic. So it will work fine with laptimer but it probably won't work with any other app or maps.

Many thanks
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, but the general problem has probably been fixed in iOS8.4 already. Not sure.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Fcat360
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Fcat360 »

So, can I use the xgps150 (which is Bluetooth) with a Bluetooth OBDII reader like the GOPoint BT1?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Fcat360 wrote:So, can I use the xgps150 (which is Bluetooth) with a Bluetooth OBDII reader like the GOPoint BT1?
Yes, your smartphone can connect to several BT devices at the same time.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

I use an XGPS160 and a BT1 all the time. If anything, issues like disconnections are less frequent with 8.4 than they were with earlier versions. And I'm using an iPhone 4s which is the minimum platform that can use iOS 8. I'm still waiting for lower prices on the 5s.
will010100
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by will010100 »

I have a new final gear ratio. I corrected the data for the gear calculation, but the software is displaying the speed data from the OBDII - not the more accurate GPS. Is there a way to select priority from one device over another?
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

You can choose what to use when overlaying, GPS or OBDII, but I don't see any choice for normal display. There is a correction factor for OBDII speed in the OBD Tweaks section of Expert Settings. It's set to one by default, but you change it. The most accurate way to do this is to compare miles traveled by GPS to the odometer of your car. Some tuners will let you change the configuration data, final gear ratio and tire revs/mile. I suspect a dealer for that model can do that too, for a price.