Just starting out. iPhone 6 internal ok?

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
jedi-knight83
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Just starting out. iPhone 6 internal ok?

Post by jedi-knight83 »

Only just come across this excellent software. I've got an iPhone6 and plan to use this software to log karting races and see where I can improve my time.

Was thinking of having the iPhone in a holder strapped to my thigh (difficult to mount it on the hire kart). Will the internal GPS be ok to start with. I can look at getting an external module in the future and strapping that to the actual kart but to just start out I don't want to spend loads and then find I don't actually use it much.

Thanks in advance.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Just starting out. iPhone 6 internal ok?

Post by Harry »

In general kart tracks have higher requirements for GPS accuracy. The reasons are the lower speeds and the tighter track layouts. When using the internal GPS only, make sure the device has a free view to the sky and is not covered (too much) by a case. Furthermore, make sure you add a driving direction to the stop / go trigger generated by he New Track Assistant. To set it, goto Map View and touch the checkered flag. Select details and enter a driving direction like 90 degree = East, 1 degree = North, 180 degree = South etc. 0 is considered "no direction", so it must not be used.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
jedi-knight83
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Just starting out. iPhone 6 internal ok?

Post by jedi-knight83 »

Harry wrote:In general kart tracks have higher requirements for GPS accuracy. The reasons are the lower speeds and the tighter track layouts. When using the internal GPS only, make sure the device has a free view to the sky and is not covered (too much) by a case. Furthermore, make sure you add a driving direction to the stop / go trigger generated by he New Track Assistant. To set it, goto Map View and touch the checkered flag. Select details and enter a driving direction like 90 degree = East, 1 degree = North, 180 degree = South etc. 0 is considered "no direction", so it must not be used.

- Harry

Thanks for the fast reply. Ok that makes sense. I will look for an affordable GPS unit asap then.