Bad Elf Lightning GPS (BE-GPS-1008) for iPhone 6+

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
Brett@BTM-AutoSport
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Bad Elf Lightning GPS (BE-GPS-1008) for iPhone 6+

Post by Brett@BTM-AutoSport »

Hello Harry. First off just wanted to say I love the app!

Now on to the troubleshooting issue. I recently bought the Bad Elf Lightning Connector GPS for my iPhone 6 Plus (iOS 8.3). When I go into the app I don't think it is recognizing the Bad Elf GPS. The System Status screen says "iPhone GNSS" and it's maxing out it's refresh rate at 1Hz. When I am in the app though, on the GPS receiver itself, the green light signifying that the receiver is working comes on, but it's not actually using the receiver for some reason. I've also checked under the Sensor List and GPS/GLONASS Sensor Category and it only shows the iPhone, not the Bad Elf. Is this GPS receiver not supported or am I doing something wrong? Thank you for your time!

GPS Receiver: http://bad-elf.com/pages/be-gps-1008-detail
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bad Elf Lightning GPS (BE-GPS-1008) for iPhone 6+

Post by Harry »

The Elfs are not supported as they do not offer 3rd party apps some direct access to the benefits an external GPS can offer. Usually such devices feed in location data into iOS's location stack - making enhanced position information available for all apps accessing iOS location service. This in turn means LapTimer will show iPhone GNSS not knowing a different device is providing the data. Please check their app - maybe there is an option available to increase the rate to 5 or 10. It should show this value for iPhone GNSS afterwards. But you will not get enhanced accuracy and additional displays like for supported GPSes... Maybe you want to request a return and go for a Dual XGPS160 instead.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Brett@BTM-AutoSport
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Thank you Harry! That's unfortunate to hear, I bought it based upon it showing compatibility on both their site and yours and really wanted one that was plug and play instead of a separate module. Since it doesn't increase the GPS accuracy (the whole reason I bought it) I'll just return it and look at the one you recommend. Thanks again!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, they display it... For LapTimer it is qualified to work, but it is not recommended. Before sending it back, can you please check for a 10 Hz switch in their app? I will make the description on LapTimer's Compatibility page more clear.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Brett@BTM-AutoSport
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Definitely a misguiding statement on there part. I'll check this evening for you, off the top of my head though I don't recall there being that option. The only options that I remember (have to have the GPS plugged into phone to even be able to access options), is changing the units it reads in as well as whether or not the GPS can work in the background. Thank you for your help!
Brett@BTM-AutoSport
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

DualXGPS160 has been ordered and a 1-star review left on the BadElf on Amazon haha. Now I just need to find a place to mount it where it won't start burning up in the car haha. Thanks again for the help Harry! Excited to get more accurate results from the Grand Prix app!
Brett@BTM-AutoSport
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

As requested I screenshotted all of the options the bad elf app provides. before I shipped the box off, I hope this helps!

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I don't see anything on update rates here. I just read there are some issues with external GPSes feeding data into iOS's location service for iOS8.3. Have you updated to this version already? The question is if the GPS location you have seen (at 1 Hz) has been delivered by the Elf at all...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Brett@BTM-AutoSport
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Harry wrote:I don't see anything on update rates here. I just read there are some issues with external GPSes feeding data into iOS's location service for iOS8.3. Have you updated to this version already? The question is if the GPS location you have seen (at 1 Hz) has been delivered by the Elf at all...

- Harry
Yes I've updated to 8.3... but... while in the Badelf app the signal is showing around 10Hz. it's just any 3rd party app it goes down to 1Hz.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Ok, thank you
Image Image Image Image