Emprum's UltiMate GPS accessory

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
tade256
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Emprum's UltiMate GPS accessory

Post by tade256 »

Squelch wrote:It worked great! I was able to keep the phone in a safe place, but I attached the GPS to the top of my forks where it had a good view of the sky. And I hooked the phone charger up through the mini-USB to the bike's battery, so I didn't have to worry about the phone (it's an old 3GS) dying halfway through my session.
My cable extender has just arrived, and it doesn't work with UltiMate. It's just a cheap $3 ebay extender (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0365251175) it works fine with iTunes, it charges the phone but the GPS device is not recognized. I asked the seller if it's a defect, waiting for reply. The reason I wrote this is apparently not all cable extenders work.

Which one you bought from cablejive, basic ($16) or the other ($26)?

Thanks,
Daniel
Squelch
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Squelch »

I bought the $26 CableJive cable through Amazon. It still worked the last time I was at the track, no issues.

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/CableJive-dockXte ... +extension
csmarx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by csmarx »

Am I the only one who has had horrible problems with the Emprum charging connection? I have already sent one unit back under warrantee, but the replacement is doing the same thing now. Basically the charging cable loses connection unless there is backwards pressure on it. If the cable is lose and without pressure, the charging bleeps on and off. I also get the message that charging is not supported with this device. The tiny micro-USB the device uses is fine for home charging, but it's terrible for in car charging during actual use. All my other in car devices use the slightly larger mini-USB, and I have never had a problem with any of them. (I don't know if I have my USB terminology right, but you know what I mean.)

I guess I can still use the Emprum for shorter stints and let it leach off the iPhone battery, but for longer drives where it needs to be plugged in, it has become a useless lump of coal.

Anyone else experience this?

I obviously have no such problem with the Dual XGPS which is rechargeable and connects via Bluetooth, and which can also be used plugged in with it's mini-USB.

Thanks,
-Christian
tdott
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tdott »

Do you have your iPhone in a case? I ran into a similar problem and works fine when the case is removed.
I haven't had a problem with the micro usb connection staying in while on a track, but I also have my iPhone in a strong windshield mount.
csmarx wrote: Basically the charging cable loses connection unless there is backwards pressure on it. If the cable is lose and without pressure, the charging bleeps on and off.

Anyone else experience this?
tdott
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tdott »

So, will the Ultimate GPS work on the iPhone 5 with the adapter?

Please say it will!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I'm pretty sure it will. Ordered an iPh5 and an adapter today and will report once I get my hands on it :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

Iphone extender cables.
Be careful, there are two types, one with 4 cores which is only useful for charging, and one with 17 cores, which is the one you want.
I have one of these which works fopr me.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Proxima%C2%AE-E ... id_mlt_0_0
h
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

Emprum
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Emprum »

Harry wrote:I'm pretty sure it will. Ordered an iPh5 and an adapter today and will report once I get my hands on it :-)

- Harry
Apple has indeed announced an adapter that will ensure that old accessories are still compatible with newer Apple devices:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823 ... in-adapter

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD824 ... apter-02-m

But since the new Apple devices and the adapter are not on the market yet as of today (Sept. 14, 2012), I have not been able actually test this and confirm, but most likely things will work as they should.

Roger from Emprum
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

There appears to be a bug in the iapd daemon in iOS 5 and 6 (it may be worse in iOS 6) that controls communication to the Emprum Ultimate. The daemon will crash occasionally. When that happens, the Emprum Ultimate appears to be connected, but the location and speed data in the Emprum app won't update and the blue dot for current location in the map screen wanders. This also makes it difficult to place POI's on the course. The workaround is to cold boot the Apple device. But you don't want to boot with the Emprum connected as it will be commandeered by location services. The procedure that works for me is to power off the iPod/Phone and let it sit for a minute or so. Unplug the Emprum Ultimate and power up the iPod/Phone. When the system is up, plug in the Emprum and start the Emprum app. If the location and speed data are updating, all is well. I would recommend doing this before starting any track session, or at least going to the Emprum app and checking to see if everything is still working correctly.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Emprum wrote: Apple has indeed announced an adapter that will ensure that old accessories are still compatible with newer Apple devices:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823 ... in-adapter
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD824 ... apter-02-m

But since the new Apple devices and the adapter are not on the market yet as of today (Sept. 14, 2012), I have not been able actually test this and confirm, but most likely things will work as they should.

Roger from Emprum
Received an adapter today and it works fine with my Ultimate GPS.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image