Dual XGPS160

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
Post Reply
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:30 am

Re: Dual XGPS160

Post by tulloch » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:36 pm

It's working fine. I suspect there is some sort of coating on our office windows because in the car I got a fix in seconds and the same at home. It was hardly turned on and the light was solid green. Happy days. :D
Dual GPS
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:15 pm

Re: Dual XGPS160

Post by Dual GPS » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:00 pm

tulloch wrote:It's working fine. I suspect there is some sort of coating on our office windows because in the car I got a fix in seconds and the same at home. It was hardly turned on and the light was solid green. Happy days. :D
I believe you're right about the window coatings. We have a reflective metallic coating on our office building windows and it severely attenuates GPS - and even FM radio - signals. So if your XGPS160 is working outside, in the car and elsewhere then I would suspect that the window coatings are the reason it didn't work through the office window.

How about at home - do you have any window coatings there? Is the GPS locking on through those windows?
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★
Posts: 836
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:26 am
Location: Kingsport, TN USA

Re: Dual XGPS160

Post by gplracerx » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:31 pm

I see seven satellites with my Dual XGPS160 in my basement family room.

How long should the battery hold a charge when the unit is not in use? Mine seems to discharge quickly, less than one day.
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:30 am

Re: Dual XGPS160

Post by tulloch » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:41 pm

Dual GPS wrote:
tulloch wrote:It's working fine. I suspect there is some sort of coating on our office windows because in the car I got a fix in seconds and the same at home. It was hardly turned on and the light was solid green. Happy days. :D
I believe you're right about the window coatings. We have a reflective metallic coating on our office building windows and it severely attenuates GPS - and even FM radio - signals. So if your XGPS160 is working outside, in the car and elsewhere then I would suspect that the window coatings are the reason it didn't work through the office window.

How about at home - do you have any window coatings there? Is the GPS locking on through those windows?
No coatings on windows at home. Unit gets a fix even in centre of the room. Outside the fix time is amazingly fast. I used it at a track day last week and it worked flawlessly all day. Left it turned on from about 9:15 to 5 o'clock and still apparently had over 40% battery left according to the Dual app. Perhaps that is not accurate as that app was not designed for this device. Very pleased with it.

Got an ETA on the new app yet?
Dual GPS
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:15 pm

Re: Dual XGPS160

Post by Dual GPS » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:13 pm

gplracerx wrote:How long should the battery hold a charge when the unit is not in use? Mine seems to discharge quickly, less than one day.
The battery should retain charge for days if not weeks when it's turned off. I'd suggest letting it run down completely, then plug it in and let it charge 24 hours (make sure to turn the GPS off after you plug it in). See if that makes any difference. If not, it needs to be replaced.
Dual GPS
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:15 pm

Re: Dual XGPS160

Post by Dual GPS » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:24 pm

tulloch wrote:No coatings on windows at home. Unit gets a fix even in centre of the room. Outside the fix time is amazingly fast. I used it at a track day last week and it worked flawlessly all day. Left it turned on from about 9:15 to 5 o'clock and still apparently had over 40% battery left according to the Dual app. Perhaps that is not accurate as that app was not designed for this device. Very pleased with it.
Glad to hear it's working well for you!
tulloch wrote:Got an ETA on the new app yet?
The new app was released last Monday - you can find it by searching for "SkyPro GPS" on the iTunes store. The app has the ability to export the recorded routes which are stored in the GPS. However...anything that you've recorded so far cannot be exported. That's unfortunate, but it was unavoidable.

You will also benefit from the firmware update available through the app: open the Settings menu (the gear icon in the upper right corner) and then tap Check Update. There are a couple of performance tweaks in the new firmware, but you'll also need this update in order to export routes.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★
Posts: 836
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:26 am
Location: Kingsport, TN USA

Re: Dual XGPS160

Post by gplracerx » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:18 pm

The new app was released last Monday - you can find it by searching for "SkyPro GPS" on the iTunes store. The app has the ability to export the recorded routes which are stored in the GPS. However...anything that you've recorded so far cannot be exported. That's unfortunate, but it was unavoidable.
An iPad only app? What good is that? A lot of negative reviews on app stability too.
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:30 am

Re: Dual XGPS160

Post by tulloch » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:27 pm

gplracerx wrote:
The new app was released last Monday - you can find it by searching for "SkyPro GPS" on the iTunes store. The app has the ability to export the recorded routes which are stored in the GPS. However...anything that you've recorded so far cannot be exported. That's unfortunate, but it was unavoidable.
An iPad only app? What good is that? A lot of negative reviews on app stability too.
I'll second that. That is absolutely crazy. You need to buy a device at that price to get the full functionality of the Gps receiver. It was bad enough that there was no PC software to do the job but at least I have an iPhone. This is not good enough.
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:30 am

Re: Dual XGPS160

Post by tulloch » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:52 pm

I've checked the Dual site and I can't find anywhere where it is revealed that their app is only for the iPad. Given all the mentions of compatibility with iPhones and all the iPhone apps that it can be used with does anyone find this just a little disingenuous?
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★
Posts: 836
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:26 am
Location: Kingsport, TN USA

Re: Dual XGPS160

Post by gplracerx » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:17 pm

My battery is dead in 12 hours with the device off. Either the battery is bad or there's a drain that doesn't go away when it's turned off. Needless to say that there's no response from their customer service email address, not even an autoresponse saying it's been received. I guess I'll have to try the phone.
Post Reply