Dual XGPS160

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dual XGPS160

Post by Harry »

One more try with the Moto and the XGPS: in "LapTimer / Settings / Expert Settings" turn "Force Insecure BT Connections" on and try to connect the Dual afterwards. Turn the helper off before you do that.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Dual XGPS160

Post by froggy47 »

Harry wrote:One more try with the Moto and the XGPS: in "LapTimer / Settings / Expert Settings" turn "Force Insecure BT Connections" on and try to connect the Dual afterwards. Turn the helper off before you do that.

Harry
Did as you say.

Helper off, would not connect, UNTIL, I went from the sensor list to GPS list. As I stared at the GPS screen the Hz started to increment from 1 (Internal gps rate) to 10 (dual rate). So I said HUH?

Went back to sensor list and the internal motox x was yellow dot and Dual was green dot.

Now I am just letting it sit to see if it sticks.

Going to GPS view seems to trigger it.

Stayed connected for 10 min so far, (smiling).
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
Moto X/android, Dual 160, generic OBD2
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Ok, didn't think of this item initially as I thought it connected but did not deliver data. Some Android models do not connect to BT devices when using the official BT interface. For these phones, and old connection type named insecure connection needs to be used... LapTimer has a black list built in to automatically use this old interface - which is always incomplete. I will add the Moto X to this list for the next release so others do not run into the problem... Thanks!

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

P.S. Connection always takes some time as LapTimer needs to poll and does not receive a notification when a new sensor is connected. That's the reason it worked in GPS instead of Sensor List. Waiting longer will connect in Sensor List too I assume.
Image Image Image Image
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

Harry wrote:Ok, didn't think of this item initially as I thought it connected but did not deliver data. Some Android models do not connect to BT devices when using the official BT interface. For these phones, and old connection type named insecure connection needs to be used... LapTimer has a black list built in to automatically use this old interface - which is always incomplete. I will add the Moto X to this list for the next release so others do not run into the problem... Thanks!

Harry
No Problem & thank YOU!
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

Harry wrote:P.S. Connection always takes some time as LapTimer needs to poll and does not receive a notification when a new sensor is connected. That's the reason it worked in GPS instead of Sensor List. Waiting longer will connect in Sensor List too I assume.
I will try that & post result at a later time.
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

Is there a difference between "connect" and "communicate"?

When I turn on HLT then turn on Dual I get an immediate message "so you know - you have connected to a trusted device ....."

but

HLT says "searching...." and the dot is red on Dual (green on motorola internal)

If I try to connect the Dual when I have HLT GPS screen open if works quite well, when I try with Sensor screen open it does not get green dot no matter how long I let it sit searching or even if I cycle power off/on for Dual.

Motox & Dual seems to need HLT on GPS screen, no matter how many different ways I try.

Thanks!
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The complete connection making is independent if the view used. That's the same for most operations throughout LapTimer. The only thing I can think of is that the Sensor list asks the OS for connection status - which in turn may influence other connection functions within the OS...
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Anyway, I will check if I see any difference in behavior for my devices...
Image Image Image Image
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

Harry wrote:Anyway, I will check if I see any difference in behavior for my devices...
For now I can make it work, without the helper app.

So here is how I do it. The helper app is gone off the phone.

I start HLT, go straight to GPS screen, turn on Dual, wait a bit for device is "seen" by HLT, wait a bit more as sat's are acquired, bingo solid blue line (one) on Dual. I must remember to turn OFF Moto X battery saver as it does "something" that kills the connection after a couple of minutes.

Hope that helps & thank YOU for your help.

:)
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06