Dual XGPS160

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Dual XGPS160

Post by gplracerx »

That's something to remember when changing the firmware on a Bluetooth device. You may have to reset some phone settings too.

By the way, I made a trip this weekend and the XGPS160 with firmware version 1.5.1 remained connected for hours.
jpindustrie
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by jpindustrie »

hey guys! first post but long time lurker...

Harry, love your apps and have moved over to LT GP over Trackaddict, racechrono, etc because of the support... (like not making me buy a GoPro but letting me keep my Sony), keep up the good work!

However I registered to offer feedback on this and say that I've now been through 2 XGPS160's each with various intermittent issues. Tried to firmware 'downgrade' with multiple PCs with no positive results. I guess I'm going to have to try the XGPS150A as that has an actual hardwired switch for the iOS 'specific' firmware (very strange implementation as well, one fw should work for ALL supported platforms ...) ...

Anyone has any feedback on other GPS BT modules ? Is the XGPS150A considered more 'reliable' ?

Thanks
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Reedey wrote:Ok Dual eventually got back to me.

Steps below describe the reset process
1. With the power on, on the GPS, slide the switch to the other position, wait three seconds, slide the switch back to apple (XGPS150 only)
2. Power off the XGPS
3. On your phone, go into Settings > Privacy > Location Services, Turn off location
4. Power of your phone
5. Turn your phone back on, go into Settings > Privacy > Location Services, Turn on location
6. Turn on the XGPS
7. Connect through Bluetooth

This appears to have fixed it. Relief!
Not sure this is the same issue as the drop of data flow after a few minutes reported for the XGPS160. The procedure above will basically reset the status of location collection between the 150 and iOS. This is kind of the standard operation for Mfi GPS devices, they make locations collected by external GPSes available for iOS location service and all apps accessing iOS locations. LapTimer does not do this but accesses external GPSes directly. This means there is kind of a second connection between your smartphone and the 150: one for general location services and one direct by LapTimer. It is certainly possible these connections influence each other and reseting the general influences the other...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

jpindustrie wrote:hey guys! first post but long time lurker...

Harry, love your apps and have moved over to LT GP over Trackaddict, racechrono, etc because of the support... (like not making me buy a GoPro but letting me keep my Sony), keep up the good work!

However I registered to offer feedback on this and say that I've now been through 2 XGPS160's each with various intermittent issues. Tried to firmware 'downgrade' with multiple PCs with no positive results. I guess I'm going to have to try the XGPS150A as that has an actual hardwired switch for the iOS 'specific' firmware (very strange implementation as well, one fw should work for ALL supported platforms ...) ...

Anyone has any feedback on other GPS BT modules ? Is the XGPS150A considered more 'reliable' ?

Thanks
The XGPS160 is the one used mostly with LapTimer and showed good results and reliability for a long time. The current situation seems to be due to some firmware version / iOS version incompatibility or issue. Oddly, I haven't heard back from the Dual technicians so far, but I will report once they come back.

The XGPS150 is quite old now but has been a reliable device in the past. LapTimer v21 will add some new sensor options, I plan to make it available in latest two weeks. Please watch the announcements.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
jpindustrie
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by jpindustrie »

Thanks and appreciate the feedback!

Are there other GPS BT modules that you'd recommend I'd look at ? I don't think I want to try the 160 for a 3rd time ... :(
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

jpindustrie wrote:Thanks and appreciate the feedback!

Are there other GPS BT modules that you'd recommend I'd look at ? I don't think I want to try the 160 for a 3rd time ... :(
LapTimer v21 will add some new sensor options, I plan to make it available in latest two weeks. Please watch the announcements.
Image Image Image Image
u.loeffler
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by u.loeffler »

Hi guys,
I have a Samsung S4 Active and the "PETROLHEAD EDITION". It works quite well, however, I think about buying the "Dual XGPS 160 (Sky Pro)". My question: Does the smartphone still need to be fixed at the motorcycle during the race, or is the "dual" sensor sufficient and the data can be dragged into the app after the race?

Greetings from Germany
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You can store it in a safer position, but still need to carry it with your bike. As an example, you can tape the XGPS to the bike’s tail and put the smartphone into a glove box. It needs to be on all the time, just like when attached to the steering bar.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
u.loeffler
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by u.loeffler »

Also both Devises are in the same Time on the Bike or Driver. The GPS Logger with free Conection to the Sateliite and the Smartphone in the Jacket or in the Bike????
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Putting the smartphone into the jacket doesn't work because touching the front will be inevitable. Most users going this route place it under their seat or somewhere else, add a power supply and take care it can't move around. As written above, you need to have the app running in foreground. This means it must not sleep. But you can dim the screen to save energy.

Actually there is another option. LapTimer supports importing logger data using formats VBO, GPX, NMEA. So any GPS device storing a session long stream of data and allow to store this data on a SD card can be used standalone (i.e. without a smartphone on board). Once you are back in the pits, you import that data into LapTimer and the app will split this data down into laps according to its track definition. The limiting factor is about the above formats. The VBOX Sport creates VBO files and can be used like this. The Dual XGPS stores logger data as KML - which is not fully supported yet. The PUSH Smart Gauge had this model optimized - including the transfer of data from device to LapTimer. Oddly, it seems they have vanished the last weeks. There may be other options.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image