Dual XGPS160

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dual XGPS160

Post by Harry »

"Moto X battery saver" sound like another tool smartphone manufacturers add on top of Google's plain Android. These tools are a pain...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

Harry wrote:"Moto X battery saver" sound like another tool smartphone manufacturers add on top of Google's plain Android. These tools are a pain...

- Harry
I agree, but the battery life is not so great on any of these phones. Especially if you shoot pictures or video, real battery killers.

So customers complain & manufacturers add these things to get a little longer life. Also people who just talk all day long on the phone burn up battery life.

:)
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
Moto X/android, Dual 160, generic OBD2
ShadeD1
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by ShadeD1 »

Harry, This fixed my problem on my Samsung S4 with the XGPS160. Thanks.
Harry wrote:One more try with the Moto and the XGPS: in "LapTimer / Settings / Expert Settings" turn "Force Insecure BT Connections" on and try to connect the Dual afterwards. Turn the helper off before you do that.

Harry
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

ShadeD1 wrote:Harry, This fixed my problem on my Samsung S4 with the XGPS160. Thanks.
Please send me a Contact mail from within LapTimer. Need to check if your model is on the list of devices automatically using insecure connections. Please add "insecure connection" to the mail generated (from the Information screen / Contact).

Thx, Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

This may be the wrong thread.

Recently I've seen 0Hz as the GPS update rate, but the latitude, longitude, altitude and maybe more keep changing. What definitely doesn't change is the slope. The Dual app shows the XGPS160 as still connected. I get this when I leave HLT in the background while using the Google Maps app for a long time and then bring HLT forward. If Google Maps would show speed, I wouldn't need to do this.
Reedey
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Reedey »

I just sent an email to Dual but figured I might as well ask here too.

I just got my XGPS160 and Harry's works seamlessly with it on my iPhone 4S, so well done to you and Dual there :)

My problem is with other apps and I wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue. Basically every other app that I have, Google maps, Apple maps, TomTom navigation, Motion-x (you get the picture) don't recognize the XGPS in the same way Harry's does and just default to using the crappy iPhone GPS receiver. I haven't been able to find any setting that changes it or enables it within other apps and all discussion that I have found online so far has said that it works with all of the above.

Anyone else with an XGPS160 and iPhone found this problem as well where Harry's is literally the only App that actually uses the thing? It is really the only app that I need it for but it would be nice to get it to work with everything else as well.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

LapTimer features a special XGPS integration that makes it possible to identify the device and show it within the app (as well as offering special features like better timing accuracy, battery level, satellites view). Most other GPS apps do not offer such an integration and will simply use iOS's location service. However, location service is not location service. As the XGPS is a "Made for iPhone" certified devices, it replaces the internal GPS and feeds its data into the iOS location stack - which in turn makes it available to all apps using the location service. The only way to detect the use of the Dual within such apps is the difference in update rates (1 Hz internal vs. 10 Hz external). But update rate is monitored by even less apps...

So netnet - maybe everything is fine and works as designed.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Reedey
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Reedey »

Yea i've done a bit more testing and it's easy enough to prove that it does work. It didn't appear to make a difference to me as the location still only updates once every second or 2 within the app but the accuracy is at least there now. It would be nice if we could get the maps app to update the location more often than it does.

I proved it by placing my phone in the middle of the house (location accuracy no better than ~100m) and then turning on the XGPS which is outside with a clear view of the sky brings the location to exactly where it should be.

What an awesome device. I've been wanting something like this ever since the old TomTom car cradle went out of production and I left mine in a hire car in Germany!
outofbed
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by outofbed »

I have a problem running the xgps150 with the laptimer on my iphone 5. It connects via bt without problems, but doesnt get a gps signal, so the laptimer does find the external gps, but doesnt get a signal, so doesnt start timing the lap. Is there a hardreset on the gps or something else i can do?

update: the xgps gets satelite data (checked it via xgps app). Just the laptimer wont get data through the xgps even it is connected to it.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please check the satellites view in LapTimer to check if you get sats here. As long as satellites are visible but do not yield a position, LapTimer will show 0 Hz. In case the problem does not go away after trying for several minutes outside (so not in your office), please kill the app and start it again.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image