No supported NMEA Device connected.

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
x3mking
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

No supported NMEA Device connected.

Post by x3mking »

Hi all..

when im using myQstars 818XT 10hz device im getting the message from harry that No NMEA Device connected.

Are there anything in the Qstar Program i can change to get it connected ?

please see the attached pictures.

Are there anything else i should change in the Qstars program to make anything better as i have no idea about what GLL,GSA, ZDA, RMC, GSV, MCHN, VTG, GGa is i can change everything from 0 to 5.
Attachments
harry2.JPG
harry2.JPG (53.37 KiB) Viewed 3500 times
harry1.JPG
harry1.JPG (94.66 KiB) Viewed 3500 times
harry3.PNG
harry3.PNG (65.4 KiB) Viewed 3500 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No supported NMEA Device connected.

Post by Harry »

Hi,

LapTimer supports two types of accessing GPS sensors: 1) Using Apple's location manager and 2) accessing the device directly.

Only devices accessed directly (#2) make their NMEA stream available. Only for these devices, the Satellites View will be functional. Namely the TomTom car kit and the G-Fi have this support.

All devices hooking into Apple's location manager are in category #1. To connect an arbitrary GPS device, you need to jailbreak your phone and connect the mouse using BTStack GPS, a little program available from Cydia. For device configuration, please contact the author of Cydia. BTStacks replaces Apple's location manager and operates like the internal sensor. LapTimer will not be able to see the difference (although it can process the higher update rates delivered).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
x3mking
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by x3mking »

Harry wrote:Hi,

LapTimer supports two types of accessing GPS sensors: 1) Using Apple's location manager and 2) accessing the device directly.

Only devices accessed directly (#2) make their NMEA stream available. Only for these devices, the Satellites View will be functional. Namely the TomTom car kit and the G-Fi have this support.

All devices hooking into Apple's location manager are in category #1. To connect an arbitrary GPS device, you need to jailbreak your phone and connect the mouse using BTStack GPS, a little program available from Cydia. For device configuration, please contact the author of Cydia. BTStacks replaces Apple's location manager and operates like the internal sensor. LapTimer will not be able to see the difference (although it can process the higher update rates delivered).

- Harry

Ahh then i know..
If you look at the pictures can you see anything that i can change to make something better or faster ? like the GLL,GSA, ZDA, RMC, GSV, MCHN, VTG, GGA
Or do you know a webpage where i can see what all this GLL,GSA, ZDA, RMC, GSV, MCHN, VTG, GGA is :-) ?

Thank you Harry for a great program and really fast support.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

there is some general recommendation from the PalmOS times. I'd assume it is applicable to the iPhone / BTStack configuration too:
... most receivers come with tools to reduce the types and frequency certain GPS / NMEA sentences are sent. Please configure your GPS receiver to send RMC and GGA only with high frequency (e. g. 4Hz) and in addition GSA and GSV with low frequency (e. g. 1Hz). Everything else is ignored by LapTimer anyway…
- Harry
Image Image Image Image
nicbell
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by nicbell »

This sounds like a tricky problem. Sometimes I also have problems with my Apple products, but it's good to know that there exists also alternatives in case it doesn't work properly. Although I think it's easy to work with and you can get a lot of help from other online users ;) I also found a helpful guide for basic GPS functions, which I use quite often now.