Dual XGPS150A vs. Emprum Ultimate

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
BlueJay73
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by BlueJay73 »

I'm acquiring all the gizmos for my first lap timer setup.
Trying to decide between the above two GPS units.
1--What are the latest pros/cons of the two?
2--Dual--Have read people are having problems with their 5hz update rate (0.0, 3.9, 4,7, etc.) Has this been fixed?
3--Also, related to #2 above, looks like people are having trouble contacting and getting responses from Dual. To the people who have the Dual, is this a deal breaker?
4--Are both NMEA accepted, are compliant or whatever? (Shows my ignorance of the subject.)
5--I read that the cable connection to Emprum on track is not very secure. Still problem? Seems like the Dual with Bluetooth may have the edge here?
6--Anyone and everyone, please advise! I'm a blank slate.
Thanks,
Jim
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Dual XGPS150A vs. Emprum Ultimate

Post by hms »

1--What are the latest pros/cons of the two?
I prefer the Dual as it does not have to directly connect to the iphone. Also the dual can be used with other devices and is not limited to connection to iphone/ipad only. Don't need it but it may be useful in the future!
Also being seperate you can mount the dual wherever suits you, you are not limited to wherever you fit the iphone.

2--Dual--Have read people are having problems with their 5hz update rate (0.0, 3.9, 4,7, etc.) Has this been fixed?
I have not had problems, the only issues being the update software. Initial problems with the update not applying caused by Windows handling of the USB ports, but once overcome no problems. Do the Duals now come with the 5hz software installed therefore not need the update? Rereading this, I may have gone off at a tangent and discussed the 5Hz update, if so ignore!

3--Also, related to #2 above, looks like people are having trouble contacting and getting responses from Dual. To the people who have the Dual, is this a deal breaker?
It looks as though there have been issues recently upgrading their web presence, there is an address for the upgrade in another thread. I have had no need to contact Dual post upgrade.

4--Are both NMEA accepted, are compliant or whatever? (Shows my ignorance of the subject.)
I believe both are.

5--I read that the cable connection to Emprum on track is not very secure. Still problem? Seems like the Dual with Bluetooth may have the edge here?
I went with the Dual so I could have the iphone in the glovebox. (Obviously couldn't video record!) I'd prefer not to have something hanging from the socket of the iphone to be rattled and shaken about.

I'm a happy Dual user and happily recommend to others.
Just for clarity, I have no affiliation with Dual, apart from being a happy user.
h
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

BlueJay73
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by BlueJay73 »

Much thanks for your responses! I'll take direct info, tangential info, any info I can get.
But, tell me, you have your IPhone in the glove compartment? What IS the function of the IPhone? I realize it contains the Harry's Lap Timer app, but it can be in the glove compartment? I am going to use a GoPro 3 camera for video, so I don't need it looking out the windshield, but I didn't know it could be in the glove compartment. That would make buying a mount for the IPhone unnecessary.
Also, what Hz rate are you getting with the Dual (seeing as the Emprum's engine gets 5Hz)?
Thanks again,
Jim

BTW, do you have any opinions on the GoPoint BT1 OBD scanner? I am planning to use that too.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please check www.gps-laptimer.de/Compatibility.html Most of the information requested should be available there.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

BlueJay73 wrote:Much thanks for your responses! I'll take direct info, tangential info, any info I can get.
But, tell me, you have your IPhone in the glove compartment? What IS the function of the IPhone? I realize it contains the Harry's Lap Timer app, but it can be in the glove compartment? I am going to use a GoPro 3 camera for video, so I don't need it looking out the windshield, but I didn't know it could be in the glove compartment. That would make buying a mount for the IPhone unnecessary.
Also, what Hz rate are you getting with the Dual (seeing as the Emprum's engine gets 5Hz)?
Thanks again,
Jim

BTW, do you have any opinions on the GoPoint BT1 OBD scanner? I am planning to use that too.
Jim,
iphone in the glovebox is for the times that one cannot video (the 'ring) or on tracks that don't allow things that are not securely fixed to the vehicle. (Sucker windscreen mounts are not acceptable on most proper racetrack trackdays in the UK) With the iphone bluetoothed to the Dual I captured the data but not video. Internal GPS will not work in my glovebox! Dual was velcro'd to the front centre of the dash, against the windscreen.
With the Dual, I was getting 4.8/4.9hz update rate.
Unfortunatley, my track toy is too old to have OBD, I wish it had as it adds so much more to HLT.

Other info.
I have a tomtom charger adaptor that give two USB charger ports and a cigarette lighter outlet.
The two USB get used for iphone and the Dual, so they are being powered/charged whilst the ignition is on. The cigarette lighter socket I use to power a bullet camera, so I have plenty of power options. I have also fitted a cig, lighter socket in the boot wired directly to the battery as an alternative power supply for the bullet cam, although I have problems with this as the cig socket and the insert from the bullet cam are slightly different sizes so can sometime come apart!

hth.
h
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

BlueJay73
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by BlueJay73 »

GPP,
Fantastic! This is just the information I was looking for.
Many thanks. I don't think I have to be concerned about what the "'-ring's" rules are, unfortunately.
I've ordered the Dual, and I was planning on velcroing or sticky-taping it to the dash at the base of the windshield, er, windscreen.
I didn't know that the IPhone would do its function in the glovebox. Good to know.
The two port USB charger is a good idea. Hopefully, that would have occurred to me sooner or later. I'm going to do that.
I see you have an MX5 in your avatar. A mechanic around here calls packs of those things "Skittles", because they come in all colors and are eventually spread out all over the track, and in the grass, and... .
Thank you for your responses,
Jim (#27; "Cajun Pilot")
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

BlueJay73 wrote:GPP,
A mechanic around here calls packs of those things "Skittles", because they come in all colors and are eventually spread out all over the track, and in the grass, and... .
Very funny!
At least it shows the drivers are trying!
Only been on an agricultural trip a couple of times, both in the same place. So not too bad, but maybe a slow learner!
h

BlueJay73
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by BlueJay73 »

Ok, it's coming together.
After reading posts, I've decided to use the GoPoint GL1 (cabled), rather than the BT1, in order not to have two Bluetooth accessories going to the ITouch simultaneously. (Have the Dual GPS being Bluetoothed to the ITouch.)
Question: The GL1 is plugged into the OBD socket in the car, drawing the car's battery power. Does the GL1 supply car battery power to the ITouch that it is connected to?
Thanks,
Jim
BlueJay73
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by BlueJay73 »

I have ended up with both the XGPS150A and the Emprum Ultimate.
XGPS150A--the little tiny white tab to switch from Apple to Other products broke off; Dual was very quick and easy to work with, they replaced the unit with a new one.
--the max I've gotten is 4Hz. I have the latest update from Dual.

Emprum Ultimate--I get 5Hz consistently.
--hooked it directly to Apple ITouch socket, with ITouch RamMounted to windshield; no problems with Emprum's
connection to ITouch; no rattles, no loosening of connection, no interrupted data.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

BlueJay73 wrote:Ok, it's coming together.
After reading posts, I've decided to use the GoPoint GL1 (cabled), rather than the BT1, in order not to have two Bluetooth accessories going to the ITouch simultaneously. (Have the Dual GPS being Bluetoothed to the ITouch.)
Question: The GL1 is plugged into the OBD socket in the car, drawing the car's battery power. Does the GL1 supply car battery power to the ITouch that it is connected to?
Thanks,
Jim
To my knowledge YES. Please check the battery load indicator of your iPod. When you plug in the GL1, the iPod should beep and show the small flash.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image