[SOLVED] Chinese bluetooth gps sensor SATELLITE info availab

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
salvodrago
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

[SOLVED] Chinese bluetooth gps sensor SATELLITE info availab

Post by salvodrago »

Hello,
I'm using a very cheap bluetooth gps mice and it works great with HLT.
I use RoqiBT4 that say bluetooth gps is working, and HLT see it as internal GPS!
So far nothing magic.

if you like to log also SATELLITE info you need NMEA data. Here I explain how to get them.
a) Configure RoqiBT4 as Generic OBD token (yes as OBD token not as NMEA compatible GPS)
b) Automatic paring on data request ON
c) in advance setting of HTL-> GPS Tweaks:
Speed Measured,
Custom Host 127.0.0.1
Custom Port 35000
Connection Type TCP CLient

These settings let HLT see your gps sensor as a generic WLAN sensor (Note you don't need a WLAN connection since it will connect locally to the iphone)

If you go in Satellite view you will see all the satellites :). Accuracy is also improving since you avoid any filter from Iphone having direct access to NMEA data. The log will contain also the number of tracked satellites. I assume it will be possible to use ODBII using a WIFI ODBII accessory (not tested yet)

I hope you will find this tweak usefull.

-Salvo
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [SOLVED] Chinese bluetooth gps sensor SATELLITE info ava

Post by Harry »

Very interesting Salvo, and absolutely logical it works once you think about. :-) roqyBT's OBD option simple makes a direct channel available to a BT device connected (actually these are a serial read and a write stream; the write stream is used when LT operates an OBD connection, for GPS the read stream is the only one needed). I had added wifi GPS access to LapTimer to support the G-Fi and arbitrary marine GPS receivers (when used with Harry's Sailor). Here, it can be used to connect to the stream provided by roqyBT OBD...

Thanks for sharing!

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
salvodrago
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by salvodrago »

That's right! Before discovering your fantastic application I was using this trick to log the raw NMEA data from a cheap 10Hz GPS Bluetooth receiver (via a local Telnet session to 127.0.0.1:35000 on the Iphone). Data can be post-processed off-line with available PC Racing software. This is not needed anymore thanks to HLT and data can be processed real time :).

Once that NMEA data are available in raw format to HLT is it perhaps useful to add NMEA format in the export menu ;)? Some PC racing software feels more comfortable with NMEA rather than the CSV format (even though GPSbabel would do the transcoding).

-Salvo
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

At the time of Export, this data is not available in LapTimer any more (NMEA sentences are read in, transformed to LT's own representation, and not stored). One could think about generating LT's own NMEA stream from this, or log all the data directly when arriving - will see.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image