can I overlay data files to gopro video files on a PC?

All Optrix VideoPro related discussions
moespeeds
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

can I overlay data files to gopro video files on a PC?

Post by moespeeds »

Any way to create a video with an overlay on a PC? I just started using harrys lap timer and it's great, but I have a PC at home and I'm recording video on my gopro. Also is there any PC based software to analyze my data?

I was using racerender when I used the droid as a laptimer, and I just assumed this is the same, but it looks like I was wrong.

Thanks,

Moe
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: can I overlay data files to gopro video files on a PC?

Post by bulls23 »

For overlaying on PC you can use Dashware, Trackvision and Racerender. All you need to do is export as CSV.
You can also put your edternal video on the iPhone and overlay it there (there are infos on how to do that here in the forum).
You can analyze your data on PC with Circuit Tools. It's available for free from Racelogic. Export as VBO for that purpose.
moespeeds
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by moespeeds »

I got it, thanks! The only issue I'm having is I can't seem to get it to pick up the throttle position input in the overlay, even though it shows up in the lap timer. I'm using OBD2 plugged into my C5 Corvette to collect the data.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Throttle position is available in the last column of CSV export. You need to check with Dahsware / TrackVision how to map that to a gadget.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
moespeeds
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by moespeeds »

Ok thanks, I'll figure it out. One more question, when I export a session to dropbox, I get 2 files, the smaller is called laptimeDB.csv and it's only 2k. What is this file?

Thank you for all the help, it's a very nice app. Looking forward to an Android version!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

LapTimerDB.csv is a list of lap times. It is generated for exports with more than one lap only.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
moespeeds
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by moespeeds »

Here's a link to a video I just made. What's up with the crazy throttle/brake inputs? I read somewhere that I may need to set an offset?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1pUdHlE ... ture=share

Thank you again for all the help!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I'm not an expert in using your overlaying software but it seems pretty clear brake and throttle are simple lineal acceleration measured. So if you see a negative lineal (or longitudinal) acceleration (the dot in the Kamscher Kreis is above the horizontal line), brake is shown. As soon as the lineal acceleration is positive (below the line), throttle is shown. Lineal acceleration is a good approximation for brake / throttle for pro drivers, but it is not the same as the accelerator / brake position. Please check with your overlay software provider how to map the throttle position recorded by LapTimer to that gadget. For braking, you need to go with lineal acceleration anyway as OBD does not deliver that value. That's by the way the reason LapTimer uses throttle only in it built in overlaying. Showing brake is a fake :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
moespeeds
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by moespeeds »

Ok I got it, just for the archives, the problem was the gauge in dashware gives a default Throttle Position Value range of 0-100. You have to set it to 0-1, as the timer logs throttle position in decimal increments (.01-.99). The brake was lineal and not accurate at all so I ditched it. Here's the completed video with the TPS working, just ignore the first 10 sec or so as I trimmed it wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFPMd2v3P30&feature=plcp

Thanks for all the help, app is really great, just get me an Android version, I can't stand this stupid iphone!
FrenschSpeed
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by FrenschSpeed »

Hi Harry,

Great forum. I am just new here and probably I missed the answer on my question.

I use the Grand Prix Edition software on the iPhone 7 Plus with 256GB.
Also the GoPro Hero4 Black edition, 2x.

Because we race in www.westfieldcup.nl in open cars I can not use the iPhone as a cam.
We have no windows and there is just to much wind.

I want to use 1x GoPro Hero4 BE as a front cam attached to Harry's Laptimer GPE.
The 2nd one - back view - will record also and I will edit this later in iMovie.
The PIP is movable in iMovie. That's the main reason. I also edit sound etc. later.

I am just testing in my private car and as you know a GoPro movie is a video segment of approx. 8 minutes.
Then is makes the next segment automatically. And so on.

The question: how do I connect the 2nd, 3rd and so on video segments to each other? Of course with the data integrated!

Cheers, Jan Frensch