Overcoming Glare

All Optrix VideoPro related discussions
maxvr6

Overcoming Glare

Post by maxvr6 »

Hi,

I recently purchased the Lap Timer app and added the video add-on to it. I just wanted to say i think this is a great app that does exactly what it says on the tin, however for me as im sure it is for a lot of people, it is not just a tool for recording lap times but a way to learn and understand how to improve from previous track sessions.

In this respect i thought it would be extremely useful to record video from inside the car from behind the driver so that you can see the driver interaction. I tested this by mounting the phone on the rear windscreen but when i played back the video i found that i could barely see the road as the iphone had automatically adjusted the focus to the majority of the image it was recording, so all i could really see was inside of the car and a bright white windsceen due to the glare. This means that the only real option for mounting the iphone using this app is on the front windscreen.

When using the standard video recording on an iphone without the lap timer app, the software allows you touch an area of the screen to focus on which refocuses the image based on the light in that area of the image hence eliminating the glare but this is not possible within the lap timer app.

Would it be possible to write an update to the lap timer app to enable this functionality, which would allow video to be taken from behind the driver without the glare? Unless of course i am missing something really obvious to overcome this issue, please can you explain how?

Many Thanks

Max
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Overcoming Glare

Post by Harry »

Hi Max,

LapTimer has a simplified version of this focus mechanism: just tap the lock symbol while holding the iPhone to a distant object. This will lock focus to this distance. Mount it to your rear screen and you will have what you want. A closed lick means LT will not change the focus, an open lock means continuo autofocus. LT always uses the image's center for focussing.

Harry
Image Image Image Image