GoPro Hero 9 - cannot connect

All Optrix VideoPro related discussions
Alex001
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

GoPro Hero 9 - cannot connect

Post by Alex001 »

Hello
I have been trying to connect the Hero9 to the LapTimer grand pix edition without success. I have followed the steps in de documentation and the YouTube video , but although the WiFi connects to the go pro and the GoPro app is not open , when switching in timer to the multicam mode, it says no external cam connected. Any clues ?
Best,
Alex
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GoPro Hero 9 - cannot connect

Post by Harry »

Connection making to GoPros is getting more complex all the time. The 9 does not allow to simply turn on WiFi and connect like former models, but requires making the connection using the GoPro app. So start it and connect and switch to LapTimer afterwards. Well possible, the warning to not run the GoPro app in parallel, is not valid any more... NB: I have no access to a HERO 9, so all of this is from what I hear from users. It isn't verified information.

In case everything else breaks, please operate the 9 manually (start / stop in the pits) and add that footage to LapTimer later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXjVb8nWCXI

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Alex001
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Alex001 »

Thanks , but I still cannot get the hero9 to be recognized by the LapTimer app. Even if the iPhone is connected to the GoPro wifi and the GoPro app is on (or off), still does not see it. It is very frustrating and I have tried everything. I guess this will be one more and more an issue for the community and a real protocol for the hero 9 and the iPhone should be developed ? Any thoughts ?
Best
Alex
rookie1
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by rookie1 »

Same here but on Android.
Connected to Hero9 Wifi , the Quik GoPro app connects fine and shows a preview ... but Harry's Laptimer (GP Edition) doesn't seem to find the Camera.

EDIT:
Actually this procedure now works for me (on Android - Harry's LapTimer Grand Prix Edition - GoPro Hero 9):
  • Configure "GoPro Hero 8" in Laptimer Settings
  • Open GoPro Quik app -> "Control Camera" -> make sure Camera is connected and Preview is visible
  • Leave GoPro Quik app and open any other app (your phone will most likely leave your Hero9 Wifi at this point
  • Important: Now go into Android settings and manually connect to your GoPro Hero 9 Wifi network (name and password are visible on your GoPro camera display under "Connections -> Device Information"). This Wifi will not be visible if you haven't used the Quik app's "Control Camera" function shortly before. The Quik app does some fancy autoswitching to the GoPro Wifi network but my phone would always switchback to another Wifi (if available) once I leave the Quik app, so for me this step of manually connecting to the Wifi was necessary
  • Now launch/switch to Harry's Laptimer, it should now find the camera

Maybe a feature request for Harry:
Would be nice if the laptimer (GP Edition) could implement the BTLE commands for the newer GoPro models:
Some more details seem to be here:
Last edited by rookie1 on Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:14 pm, edited 8 times in total.