Accelerometer Data

All Optrix VideoPro related discussions
Tbevirt
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Accelerometer Data

Post by Tbevirt »

Hey, I really have loved this app so far. Ive had a few bugs, like video no saving some times or not being able to overlay the video but over all it works really well.

I came here because my biggest disappointment is that the accelerometer data seems to be over damped or something. After a corner (having gone into the strait) the acceleromiters still show lateral Gs. I was wondering if this was being looked into or if it could be. As far as anything else, some cool gimmicks might be having numerical G forces or max G forces displayed (probably would not be accurate).

Anyway, thanks for your help and heres a video to demonstrate what im talking about with the accelerometer data.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OS7lHds ... FLTWZzgt0=
EDIT: Also the ability to export the raw data would be pretty sick.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Accelerometer Data

Post by Harry »

Hi,

This usually means acceleration has not been calibrated correctly. VideoPro has an sophisticated algorithm to do this correctly most of the time, but sometimes it fails. It is easy to correct this: when you see your calibration is not in the center when standing still, tap the acceleration circle in the Video view. This will stat over the calibration process and (hopefully) produce better results.

On additional features: VideoPro and LapTimer have separate design criterias: VideoPro should be as simple as possible, while the LapTimer series is focussed on being the most feature rich lap timing app in the markets. So I try to leave features away in VideoPro whenever possible. In case you want to the full range of export and gimmicks - check LapTimer Pro - even if you do not use it for lap timing.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Tbevirt
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Tbevirt »

The more I looked into the other apps I kind of realized that that is probably what you were intending for this app.

I think you misunderstand me on the accelerometer data. I did calibrate the app after mounting the phone. You can see in the video I posted above before launch the accelerometer reads correctly. However when I launch it takes about a half second or so for the accelerometer to register that acceleration. It seems slightly out of real time.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I'm abroad and had no chance to look into the video before... Looking into it now two obvious points: #1 The accelerator is a bit behind - probably 0.5 seconds. In VideoPro, this cannot be adjusted like in LapTimer. I will add an option for this in the next release. #2 Due to the high frequency turning left / right, the 1Hz sampling rate misses peaks. Probably a bit technical: VideoPro samples acceleration at 10Hz, but smoothens the values to reduce noise from the sensor (so called lowpass). Finally, it stores the max acceleration that occurred between two GPS fixes. The downside from lowpass filters is they cut peaks... The longer turns show reasonable G forces (up to 1G), the shorter don't. In case you want to opt for an external 5Hz GPS receiver (see http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Compatibility.html), this problem will go away immediately.

Hope that at least clarifies the situation :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Tbevirt
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Tbevirt »

Harry wrote:I'm abroad and had no chance to look into the video before... Looking into it now two obvious points: #1 The accelerator is a bit behind - probably 0.5 seconds. In VideoPro, this cannot be adjusted like in LapTimer. I will add an option for this in the next release. #2 Due to the high frequency turning left / right, the 1Hz sampling rate misses peaks. Probably a bit technical: VideoPro samples acceleration at 10Hz, but smoothens the values to reduce noise from the sensor (so called lowpass). Finally, it stores the max acceleration that occurred between two GPS fixes. The downside from lowpass filters is they cut peaks... The longer turns show reasonable G forces (up to 1G), the shorter don't. In case you want to opt for an external 5Hz GPS receiver (see http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Compatibility.html), this problem will go away immediately.

Hope that at least clarifies the situation :-)

- Harry
That answers all my questions, thank you very much. Im an mechanical engineer so I had noticed the filtering. To be honest Im just impressed that there is enough head room to do what you already do.