Sneak Preview v14

All announcements that are outdated are moved here.
random1
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: Sneak Preview v14

Post by random1 »

Harry, thanks for sharing these screen shots. It appears to be a good feature. Can you set additional intermediate GPS points to allow segment times? Would this be done after setting the finish, before, or either?
Rob Rockefeller
2003 Honda S2000
SCCA Solo - STR
ecugrad
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ecugrad »

Looks great Harry! How would you setup intermediate markers?
puncturina
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by puncturina »

Sorry if I'm being stupid, but I just found out about your app and don't know anything about it. Also, a fairly new autocrosser, so sorry if my questions are dumb.

When do you think the autocross support will be released?
Using the current version, just using an iphone 3g without any other peripherals, how accurate is the data?
Our autocross courses usually have the start timer beam about 6-10 feet ahead of where you line up. Is that a standing start?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

random1 wrote:Harry, thanks for sharing these screen shots. It appears to be a good feature. Can you set additional intermediate GPS points to allow segment times? Would this be done after setting the finish, before, or either?
The assistant simply creates a track set with matching standing start and stop triggers. You can add splits later on by simply creating one and adding it to the track set created by the assistant.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

puncturina wrote: When do you think the autocross support will be released?
Using the current version, just using an iphone 3g without any other peripherals, how accurate is the data?
Our autocross courses usually have the start timer beam about 6-10 feet ahead of where you line up. Is that a standing start?
I stopped estimating release dates ;-)

The iPhone3G has a relatively weak GPS sensor. It works as long as you take care for good receiving conditions, accuracy will be better than half a second, most of the time 0.1 seconds. In case you run into problems, check out one of the GPS solution on http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Compatibility.html

A standing start will be exactly were you stand.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Harry wrote:I need to ask the Dual people. It is a 65-channel SkyTraq GPS chipset. There are several models, everything between 1 and 10. It will be either 5 or 10 I guess. Please note that the Dual XGPS 150 is not yet available in Europe.

- Harald
The Dual XGPS 150 is available in Europe...but for much higher rate :-( :

http://www.expansys.de/dual-universal-b ... es-217236/

Hope this will change in the future...
Bollo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Bollo »

hi all i am new to this forum also new to the app, the main reason i bought this app is to time my laps at track days where timing is not aloud (hence my phone is ok as the don't see it) anyway i think the it would be good to add an auto trigger built in to all the tracks so that you don't need to actually walk onto the track & setup as a lot of times you are not allowed on the track, you have all the track maps loaded in so i am assuming that it could be added in as a start finish point set to auto start / lap each lap

cheers Allan

PS great app keep up the good work
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

Harry,
looking at the Dual XGPS150, which I believe currently is 1Hz update, but the chip supports 5Hz.
In the compatability list, you say NMEA support form V14 of HLT. Does that mean that HLT will use the 5HZ rate from v14?
Sorry if that's a simple question, but this sort of stuff is unknown to me!
I'm looking to use the bluetooth GPS so I can put the iPhone in the glovebox, so I cannot be accused of timing on track!
Superb program by the way, I could have done with the autocross timing when sprinting last year!
Regards
Howard
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

hms wrote:Harry,
looking at the Dual XGPS150, which I believe currently is 1Hz update, but the chip supports 5Hz.
In the compatability list, you say NMEA support form V14 of HLT. Does that mean that HLT will use the 5HZ rate from v14?
Sorry if that's a simple question, but this sort of stuff is unknown to me!
I'm looking to use the bluetooth GPS so I can put the iPhone in the glovebox, so I cannot be accused of timing on track!
Superb program by the way, I could have done with the autocross timing when sprinting last year!
Regards
Howard
Hi Howard,

Version 14 supports accessing the Dual directly, i.e. it has access to the satellites information and original time stamps. But - the XGPS firmware currently delivers 1 Hz only - despite the capability of the chip used. They work on it, but I'm not sure we get it running at 5 Hz. For further discussion in XGPS, please change to the Accessories sub forum, thanks :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Bollo wrote:hi all i am new to this forum also new to the app, the main reason i bought this app is to time my laps at track days where timing is not aloud (hence my phone is ok as the don't see it) anyway i think the it would be good to add an auto trigger built in to all the tracks so that you don't need to actually walk onto the track & setup as a lot of times you are not allowed on the track, you have all the track maps loaded in so i am assuming that it could be added in as a start finish point set to auto start / lap each lap

cheers Allan

PS great app keep up the good work
Hi,

Not sure I get your point... All the tracks in the database provided have automatic triggers built in. No need to walk the track? The trigger setting procedure is for autocross courses only as they are typically created each event and cannot be available in the database.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image