[SOLVED] (Temporary) drop of support for TomTom car kit

All announcements that are outdated are moved here.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

[SOLVED] (Temporary) drop of support for TomTom car kit

Post by Harry »

Dear users of TomTom car kits,

With submission of 14.4 I'm in the midst of an odyssey to keep TomTom car kit support. Since iOS5, Apple requires app providers to get an explicit certification from accessory manufacturers if they want to access there device specific interfaces. This access is required to get the benefits of direct NMEA access - first implemented for the TomTom car kit in LapTimer version 10.

To date I have received this certification from Emprum for their UltiMate GPS and from Dual for their XGPS150. I have not yet found a way getting this certification from TomTom however. I have applied at Apple for an exception for the still not approved version 14.4 - I simply do not want to keep the benefits from 14.4 and the new 5 Hz GPS options away from my clients. I want to release 14.4 as soon as possible. Oddly, I'm not granted that exception.

So what will I do? Firstly, I will further push getting the missing certification. Till then, I will need to drop TomTom car kit support and remove the direct NMEA access here. Doing this, NMEA specific functionality will be dropped (Satellites View, increased accuracy). The TomTom will deliver its GPS information through Apple's location service and still deliver some benefit.

I will state the impact in the update release notes. In case you are a TomTom user, please decide ahead of the update if you want to keep direct access and stick with 14.3, or if you accept a (hopefully) temporary drop of features added by the direct access.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
rolorex
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: (Temporary) drop of support for TomTom car kit

Post by rolorex »

Thanks for the update Harry!
As a user of the TomTom car kit, I am very hopeful that TomTom will provide the needed certification. In the interim, I have submitted a request to TomTom through their on-line support page to get this done. I would also suggest that other TomTom car kit users do the same to help TomTom understand the importance of staying tied to Harry's Laptimer apps!

Thanks again!
Gernby
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Gernby »

Does this mean that the NMEA benefits will be dropped for other external GPS units like the Emprum UltimateGPS?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Gernby wrote:Does this mean that the NMEA benefits will be dropped for other external GPS units like the Emprum UltimateGPS?
No, only for those that don't want to play with me :-)
Emprum and Dual have certified already, they will work.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I just submitted a new version 14.4 without TomTom support to Apple.

In case you are not happy with the situation, please file a complaint / request support from TomTom.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
MX5RACER
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by MX5RACER »

Harry wrote:In case you are not happy with the situation, please file a complaint / request support from TomTom.

- Harry
Requested support from Tom Tom. Hope this gets resolved soon. For now I am holding off on updating to 14.4.
matie3201
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by matie3201 »

Harry, it would be helpful if you would post a link to the location/address to file the complaint. I would like to contribute but I do not know where/who to contact.

-Mathew
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

matie3201 wrote:Harry, it would be helpful if you would post a link to the location/address to file the complaint. I would like to contribute but I do not know where/who to contact.

-Mathew
That is part of the problem, they are pretty closed. There is a forum and an email interface. http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/utils/ ... direct/ask
Any better recommendation?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

As I still receive multiple questions on the effect of the dropped support of NMEA integration, please check this post before raising a new one: Link
Image Image Image Image
SteveAdcock
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by SteveAdcock »

Hi Harry and all.
This is very inconvenient of Tom Tom. I wrote to them, but to do so had to register on their site and send the request that way.
Hope this helps Harry.
Cheers Steve

Here is what I sent:

Hi Tom Tom,
I use the above lap timer app which is brilliant and which until now utilises the TT car kit for access to NMEA. There are 100's of people who bought your car kit just for this purpose. Apparently Tom Tom will not give certification to Harry's Lap Timer.

I quote from Happy's Lap Timer:
"With submission of 14.4 I'm in the midst of an odyssey to keep TomTom car kit support. Since iOS5, Apple requires app providers to get an explicit certification from accessory manufacturers if they want to access there device specific interfaces. This access is required to get the benefits of direct NMEA access - first implemented for the TomTom car kit in LapTimer version 10.

To date I have received this certification from Emprum for their UltiMate GPS and from Dual for their XGPS150. I have not yet found a way getting this certification from TomTom however. I have applied at Apple for an exception for the still not approved version 14.4 - I simply do not want to keep the benefits from 14.4 and the new 5 Hz GPS options away from my clients. I want to release 14.4 as soon as possible. Oddly, I'm not granted that exception.

So what will I do? Firstly, I will further push getting the missing certification. Till then, I will need to drop TomTom car kit support and remove the direct NMEA access here. Doing this, NMEA specific functionality will be dropped (Satellites View, increased accuracy). The TomTom will deliver its GPS information through Apple's location service and still deliver some benefit."

Can I plead with Tom Tom to contact Harald Schlangmann to discuss this as I know you will be missing out on heaps of sales and inconveniencing 100's of people that have purchase your car kit for to use with this very app.

Harald.Schlangmann@netcologne.de
http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Home.html

Thank you,
Steve Adcock
SA AUSTRALIA