Post Your Track Toy Here

Introductions and general exchange between LapTimer users; use this forum in case you want to offer LapTimer related accessories too
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post Your Track Toy Here

Post by Dubbedown »

Figured since 99% of use this awesome software for motorsports so we might as well show off what we're driving! No need for long list of modifications, just:

year/make/model
picture of the car
what tracks you drive on
lunat1ck
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Post Your Track Toy Here

Post by lunat1ck »

I'm way to vain to not post a reply to this :-)

I drive a 2009 Mustang GT, with a VERY long list of mods, to turn it into a road course beast. I am quite happy to say that I've passed at least one slow Corvette driver every time I've gone to the track, and I pass a lot more than I get passed :-P

I just started driving tracks last year, and I've only been on the two courses at New Jersey Motorsports Park (Lightning and Thunderbolt) twice each, and Lime Rock Park 4 times. I'm adding New Hampshire International Speedway next month, and then returning to both NJMP and LRP one more time each this year. This is like crack....

I've been an amateur videographer for years, so I've been creating videos of my track sessions to (a) learn how to drive better and (b) impress my friends. :-P You can see all the stuff I've posted on my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/thelunat1ck/videos

My setup is HLT on an iPhone 4 with a Dual XGPS150 and the PLX Devices wireless OBD device to gather the data, 3 GoPro cameras for the video, and I use Excel, RaceRender2 and iMovie6 to produce the final edits. I just bought the GoPro 3D kit, and plan to give that a try when I run NHIS next month.
lunat1ck
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by lunat1ck »

Why do I *always* forget the damn attachments.....
Attachments
Lunat1ck-small.JPG
Lunat1ck-small.JPG (35.75 KiB) Viewed 14142 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Your Track Toy Here

Post by Harry »

Looks like you are not only modifying your Mustang a lot, but LapTimer too :-)

Harry
Image Image Image Image
lunat1ck
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by lunat1ck »

If LapTimer was open source, I probably *would* be modifying it directly. (25 year UNIX veteran, professional software developer, but too bad LapTimer's not written in perl :-)

But I'm more than happy to depend on you for that, and HLT is more than worth what you charge for it.

I'm going to keep using LapTimer until I start racing for real, and then I will probably invest in something from Traqmate or AIM, but those systems ain't cheap. When it comes to bang for the buck, if you're willing to make the effort to learn how to integrate these external hardware inputs, your software totally kicks their ass.

Consider me a fan....
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Dubbedown »

I drive a 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0

lunat1ck - maybe I'll run into you at the northeast. I've yet to do LRP, but I have done Laguna (Skippy school), NJMP, Summit, VIR, WGI and will be adding Poconos North in a month or so. The clubs I run with are NASA, CCA, PCA and Trackdaze.

Last edited by Dubbedown on Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
lunat1ck
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by lunat1ck »

Nice ride, Dubbedown!! I've always liked those little BMW coupes.

I do all my track days with SCDA (http://www.scda1.com), a great bunch of people who put on great events. Now, having never run with NASA or anyone else, I obviously can't compare, but I'm told they don't pack as many cars into their sessions as NASA does. They do a lot of track days at Lime Rock Park. A little traffic is fun (I love passing slow Corvettes :-P), but you need some clear track if you want meaningful laptimes. More than half the laps I ran on Tuesday were traffic-free, although I don't count it when I blow by someone without lifting on the front straight....

Now that Pocono has been repaved, I really want to add that one to my list as well. Hell, any track I within a 1 days drive of NYC is on my list!! Just going to take me a while to check them off the list. You're a few tracks ahead of me -- I'd better get driving.... :-)
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Dubbedown »

lunat1ck wrote:Nice ride, Dubbedown!! I've always liked those little BMW coupes.

I do all my track days with SCDA (http://www.scda1.com), a great bunch of people who put on great events. Now, having never run with NASA or anyone else, I obviously can't compare, but I'm told they don't pack as many cars into their sessions as NASA does. They do a lot of track days at Lime Rock Park. A little traffic is fun (I love passing slow Corvettes :-P), but you need some clear track if you want meaningful laptimes. More than half the laps I ran on Tuesday were traffic-free, although I don't count it when I blow by someone without lifting on the front straight....

Now that Pocono has been repaved, I really want to add that one to my list as well. Hell, any track I within a 1 days drive of NYC is on my list!! Just going to take me a while to check them off the list. You're a few tracks ahead of me -- I'd better get driving.... :-)
I agree, NASA gets crowded BUT they're probably one of the most well run organizations. Plus they have top notch instructors (in-car and classroom). With that said, I don't like the amount of downtime in between sessions because of the different race groups, hence I also drive with the other clubs I mentioned. But maybe I'll check out SCDA, especially if they frequent LRP.

I too avoided Poconos for the same reason as you but I'm checking it out for the first time in Sept with MRF. They have a charity event but the cool thing is it's a "twilight" event so the event runs 6pm-midnight. First time I'll be doing a track day at night, hoping it'll make me even a better driver. You should check it out if you're interested, "only" $195 for the evening and best of all, no early morning drive for tech or having to get a hotel the night before since it starts so late =)

http://www.motorsportreg.com (MRF on 9/8)
lunat1ck
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by lunat1ck »

Night time on the track!? Man, that sounds *fun*, but... I am already WAY over my 2012 budget for playing with this particular toy, and I'm going to NJMP the Mon/Tue after that, so I don't think I can squeeze that in. Thanks for the pointer, though -- one more group to keep an eye on.

I heard horror stories about people losing oil pans on the bumps at Pocono, but it looks gorgeous now.
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

Mazda MX5 (Miata), actually a Eunos as it's a Japanese import
1.6 na all of around 87bhp.
Sprinted for a season, but gets used at the 'ring, Brands Hatch, Silverstone Stowe, Bedford Autodrome, several airfield track days, Abbeville and Ecuyers. (Last two France.)

The car is owned by a group of us, paid £750 for it, sponsored by GAZ with a set of Gaz gold pro shocks, full track alignment.
We pay £20 a month teach to insure and keep it on the road.
Really cheap fun!

h
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM