status 'Not Ready'

Introductions and general exchange between LapTimer users; use this forum in case you want to offer LapTimer related accessories too
abvabv
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

status 'Not Ready'

Post by abvabv »

I'm seeing a ton of documentation for Harrys Lap Timer but I am new and I have been unable to get my Overall Status' ready because of the battery. I have a brand new iPhone with a nearly full battery charge.

Does anyone know where I can find an answer the following question: DOES AN IPHONE NEED TO BE PLUGGED INTO A POWER SUPPLY FOR HARRYS LAPTIMER TO WORK?????

Sorry for certain redundancy but I cant find an answer to this anywhere.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: status 'Not Ready'

Post by Harry »

The battery message will come up in yellow or red. In case you have no power supply plugged in, it will be at least yellow. In case the battery status is low in addition, it will get red.

None of the messages shown in the status will disable LapTimer. Even with a red (error) message, LapTimer may work. So all of these are self-checks, nothing more. However, for most (red) errors, chances are high there will be a problem.

Back to battery: LapTimer does not require an external power supply. But it is highly recommended. The reason is, that LapTimer will drain your battery in record time - even when fully charged. LapTimer will enable internal sensors and force highest speeds possible. It does a lot of processing too. It will require the screen to be on. As most track days are in summer on bright days, you will need a high brightness in addition. Not to speak about video recording - which is super energy demanding. With all this conditions, most smartphones will turn off after an hour!

Besides the effect you will lose recordings, a sudden power off may introduce database corruption too. So take care.

In case you really know what you are doing, you can turn off the warning in LapTimer's Settings.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
abvabv
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by abvabv »

thank you for your reply.

my iphone is unfortunately about the same size as my boxster windshield- so visibility is a concern.
Additionally the only power source i have is my cigarette lighter which i would imagine would be a horrible place to run a cable from. , i would probably need to run a power cable from the fuse box and through the dash in order to keep phone plugged in. Is there a kit or cable that anyone knows of that will server this purpose?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Most users utilize the cigarette lighter.
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

And please have a look into Quick Reference / Illustration #3, that’s important.
Image Image Image Image