Ecutek Bluetooth Dongle compatibility with Harry’s Lap Timer

Introductions and general exchange between LapTimer users; use this forum in case you want to offer LapTimer related accessories too
Touring_Dave
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Ecutek Bluetooth Dongle compatibility with Harry’s Lap Timer

Post by Touring_Dave »

Hi,

Am about to have my Mazda MX5 NC (Miata) custom tuned and have the option to buy an Ecutek Bluetooth Dongle which fitted into the OBD port will communicate with the custom map allowing various features to be enabled / disabled as required.

Has anyone successfully used this dongle with Harry’s Lap Timer?

I currently use a £6-00 dongle off eBay (or Amazon) which works absolutely fine with HLT and wanted to establish Ecutek / HLT compatibility before handing over £250.

Many thanks.

Dave.
Mazda MX-5 (Miata) NC 2ltr, IL Motorsport Manifold, Cold Air Intake, Ecutek remap, Skuzzle Dyno 164hp at wheels, EBC Turbo Groove discs and Yellowstuff pads front and rear, Meistrr Coilovers.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ecutek Bluetooth Dongle compatibility with Harry’s Lap Timer

Post by Harry »

I had a look into their product page. The adapter + app looks like a proprietary solution. Except when offering really exceptional / exclusive access, I strongly discourage buying this type of solutions. Being "closed", they block the use of faster / more intensive maintained apps like LapTimer. The proprietary apps delivered usually get a few updates and stay like this afterwards. There is simply no business case to spend a lot of effort. Finally, to cover the extra cost for these mediocre proprietary apps, the adapters are heavily overpriced.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Touring_Dave
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: Ecutek Bluetooth Dongle compatibility with Harry’s Lap Timer

Post by Touring_Dave »

Hi Harry,

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

The issue I have is that in order to access even basic functionality options within the custom map a steering wheel with cruise control is required, something that my car doesn’t possess.

Having researched some more on the internet a number of people have made themselves an electronic box that successfully replicates the cruise control steering wheel buttons and mounted that within the car.

Will investigate how easy it is to go down the self made electronic box route instead as whilst the simplicity of plug ‘n’ play solution certainly appeals the cost does not. After all, any solution must also address cost versus benefit conundrum ie needs to be proportionate for a naturally aspirated mx5 and not a highly tuned GTR !

Once again, many thanks for your thoughts.

Dave.
Mazda MX-5 (Miata) NC 2ltr, IL Motorsport Manifold, Cold Air Intake, Ecutek remap, Skuzzle Dyno 164hp at wheels, EBC Turbo Groove discs and Yellowstuff pads front and rear, Meistrr Coilovers.