Forum Search

Introductions and general exchange between LapTimer users; use this forum in case you want to offer LapTimer related accessories too
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Forum Search

Post by bulls23 »

Wasn't quite sure where to post this...hope it's all right here...

By now this forum has quite some threads and I've had trouble searching it. One example: "gps obd speed". In my opinion that is a pretty specific keyword search but it is rejected as too common. Has anybody else noticed that too. Or am I the only one who gets rejected time and time again? :(
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Forum Search

Post by hms »

I'm not great on this stuff either.
I think the issue is that you are using three seperate words, gps,obd and speed. Certainly in this forum, the first and last words will appear thousands of times. Any post with any one of these terms will appear in the listing.
What you are probably after is searching for where those three words appear in one post.
So search for "gps + OBD + speed", that should give you all posts with those three words in. If a post only has one or two of the words those posts will not appear in the search list.
Speed is also a generic term, in this case update, refresh may be better words to use.
At least that's how I think it works!
h
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Thanks for your reply. I was aware of how to use the search and familiar with AND and OR searches. As you pointed out all of these terms are generic and on some blacklist I guess. In that particular search I was looking for the thread where Harry explained when he uses gps and when weel speed for the views in laptimer. I simply used the site search by google and immediately found what I needed. I simply had the impression (not for the first time) the blacklist might be too big / restrictive.
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Me again...
Just did some research and the Google integration idea might be a good one:

Personally I would go for this approach (last post of the thread): http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1344605

An here is another approach: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1659335

But if it's just me who thinks it's a good idea...Harry shouldn't bother with that little mod an keep on working on v15 ;-)
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

Keep Harry on v15!

You can always use Google to search the site

Search within a specific website (site:)
Google allows you to specify that your search results must come from a given website. For example, the query [ iraq site:nytimes.com ] will return pages about Iraq but only from nytimes.com. The simpler queries [ iraq nytimes.com ] or [ iraq New York Times ] will usually be just as good, though they might return results from other sites that mention the New York Times. You can also specify a whole class of sites, for example [ iraq site:.gov ] will return results only from a .gov domain and [ iraq site:.iq ] will return results only from Iraqi sites.

So entering dual XGPS150 site:http://forum.gps-laptimer.de into the sGoogle search engine will list all the results from HLT that has that phrase.
h
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

I have added the linked phpBB search tweak to the forum. For a Google Search, press 'Advanced Search' and enter the search phrases to the Google Search box. I will check if it is possible to make the standard search less selective, not sure it is possible with standard phpBB.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi again,

Switched the forums search backend, gps obd speed works just fine now :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

I feel a little fooled about... :cry:
Still I think it's a nice feature and shouldn't have taken you more than 5 min of copy and paste ;)