Rookie Questions

Introductions and general exchange between LapTimer users; use this forum in case you want to offer LapTimer related accessories too
82ENGR
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Rookie Questions

Post by 82ENGR »

Hi Folks,
I'm getting ready to buy the lap timer app and some of the accessories and I have a few question that can't really figure out from all the documentation.

I have a iPhone 5s, I plan to buy a mount, the OBDII reader, a GPS (10 Hz) and a go pro (the one recommended on this site). I plan to start with the mount, OBD and GPS. The main usage will be auto crossing and some track days.

Should the accessories by Blue Tooth or Wi-Fi? The reading suggest that Bluetooth is the better option. Hardwired is not under consideration at this time.

Will running the ODB, GPS and Camera all together on Bluetooth be an issue? The reading suggest no, more the most part.

If my iPhone does not have a data plan, will it still work? Considering a dedication device, to maximize available processor speed and data storage.

Can to collect on an iPhone and transfer to an iPad for analysis? The older I get the smaller those screens look.

I will also want to start looking at engine data at some point in the future.

Thanks for your help,
Mike
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rookie Questions

Post by Harry »

You can connect one WiFi accessory at a time. So in case you plan to add an action cam later, this will be the WiFi device and all others need to be Bluetooth. All action cams I'm aware of use WiFi, late HEROs come with BT on top but require the WiFi connection nevertheless. Using Bluetooth for both OBD and GPS is working well, for Autocross take care to get a 10 Hz GPS (frequent direction changes).

LapTimer works fine without data plan as long as you load your track sets while in a WiFi. This can be done ahead of track days. AXes are typically defined on site and o not need track set downloads.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

The satellite background on a course map is nice, but not essential. Also for autocross, I recommend setting the accelerometer frequency to as fast as it will go, ~100Hz, and set the trigger detection corridors to the minimum, 5m.

Administration/Settings/Expert Settings/Accelerator Tweaks/Update Rate
..../Trigger Detection/Narrow Corridor
....../Normal Corridor
...../Wide Corridor

If you set a direction for a POI, and you should, it defaults to the Wide Corridor, so that's actually the only one you need to change. You need a narrow corridor for autocross on a small lot as it's fairly easy to trigger the wrong POI if the course loops around on itself.
82ENGR
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by 82ENGR »

Thanks racerx, will I need to reset for track days? I have one tomorrow and will play with the device for the first time.
alexARC
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by alexARC »

Hello

I am using Mike's post as I have quite similar questions.
I have been using regular laptimers for years but I start to think that Harry's laptimer contains everything I want:
-> data logging with g force, gps, speed (data from ECU would be a plus but I running Emerald ECU which I believe do not use obd but rs232).
->video with overlaid data (I'd like direct integration without any post-processing)
->real-time data export to get them in paddock

What would be your advice for equipments:
Which phone would you recommend ?
Which camera : gopro but I do not want to spend a fortune for very high resolution that I don't use (hero 4 black would work for real-time processing?)

Thanks
Alex
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi Alex,

Welcome. Please have a look into LapTimer's compatibility pages:

www.gps-laptimer.de/compatibility/ios and www.gps-laptimer.de/compatibility/android

These pages include everything from smartphone to external accessories and cams. My general recommendation is to start with a good smartphone plus a mount. Experience will make clear what else is required for you personal priorities. Many see this basic set is fine for their requirements, other go the "serious" way and add a high quality GPS first, while others are mostly interesting in great footage. The later will add OBD and action cam.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
alexARC
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by alexARC »

Thanks Harry for your comment.
I'm already quite clear on what I'd like having used regular laptimer (AIM) for years now...
There are two things I would like:
Get realtime data in the paddock
Get video with data overlaid directly without any post-processing (I have used smartycam in the past and I do not want to waste time in post-processing). I believe this is what you call "This means there is no manual operation necessary when overlaying videos recorded externally! "

You mention the silver hero 4 as being the most advanced in term of integration. However, I do not record in very high definition (no need, too much memory required...). Would the black hero 4 would be enough?

Cheers
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The black is the premium model, not the silver... Both offer all types of resolutions. In case you want to save memory, HD is a good compromise nowadays. SD is too low to use as master video.

When using an action cam, you need to transfer footage to the smartphone to watch or overlay it. There is no way around this. Once this has been done, you can watch the overlaid video instantly and without post processing. This is required for distribution to youtube et al only.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image