Need new phone to use with laptimer. Windows- phone???

Introductions and general exchange between LapTimer users; use this forum in case you want to offer LapTimer related accessories too
Caprimaniac
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Need new phone to use with laptimer. Windows- phone???

Post by Caprimaniac »

Hello all Harry's users.

I have been using the laptimer for a few years With great Luck. However, my phone is now broken, and I need a New one...

Have I got it correct- the Harry's app is not for the Windows- phone? You get the app for Android and iphone, and it will not work With an Windows- phone?

I have been searching on quality/ differences on GPS antennaes/ recievers on different Phones, but I hvae not found any good data.... Are there great differences between differnet Phones???

I will also be looking at a phone that can take a beating without the antennae/ reciever breakes....

Any suggestions and inputs welcome!

Thanks

Regards
RuneS.
jwmelvin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Need new phone to use with laptimer. Windows- phone???

Post by jwmelvin »

If GPS is your only issue, add an external GPS puck. It will be much faster and more accurate than any internal-phone receiver. And it decouples that aspect of choosing a phone.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

There is indeed not a lot data available on the quality of internal GPSes. Probably because they are good enough to cover standard use cases smartphone users have (i.e. not track operation). As long as you want to capture lap times mainly, you will be fine with any smartphone's GPS as long as you mount your phone in the windscreen as proposed (see Quick Reference within the app). As soon as you want to analyse your data, an external antenna is recommended.

LapTimer is not supported for Windows and I have no plans to add it either. It is simply a too small segment for niche app development. Android and iOS are the platforms supposed and maintained.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Caprimaniac
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Caprimaniac »

Thanks, fellas.

Have been looking at external GPS, but none of the stores around here have them. Have to shop ebay or otherwise online, which I dislike....

Regards
RS