Share your video !

Introductions and general exchange between LapTimer users; use this forum in case you want to offer LapTimer related accessories too
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Share your video !

Post by Dubbedown »

GlnkNL wrote:Your windows are down which makes watching video no joy for me. Why do Americans always have the window down on trackdays? Is that a rule or something? Maybe you should consider moving the camera out of the wind. Or use a external microphone so you can put that in a better spot.
Now that I realize it's no joy for you I'm not sure if I should even consider doing track days anymore, sigh.... LOL jk

Windows down are a rule here, easier for emergency services to pull you out in worst case scenario. Not moving the camera as where it currently sits captures everything perfectly. But I did just order an external mic so I'll play around with it next time.
GlnkNL
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by GlnkNL »

@Dubbedown; I meant the sound of wind is no joy. Keep driving :)
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Windows down are a rule here, easier for emergency services to pull you out in worst case scenario.
Emergency services workers are not going to drag you out a window unless absolutely necessary. Which, in my 40+ years of working corners at race tracks, is never. There's too much risk of aggravating a spine injury. It's so the driver can crawl out of the car if the door won't open. If you can't get out of the car under your own power, they'll want to put a rigid vest and collar on you before you're moved so your neck and back are supported. I know someone who is walking around today that wouldn't have been if someone had dragged him out of his car after he wrapped it around a tree at the Chimney Rock Hill Climb. He had a shattered vertebra in his neck.

It's really easy to break a tempered glass window into a pile of tiny glass cubes with a pointy hammer or other similar device such as an automatic center punch That's something everyone should have with them in a car and is carried by many emergency services workers.
GlnkNL
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by GlnkNL »

It's only more dangerous with the window down. Higher risk of losing a limb or worse if you happen to roll over.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

GlnkNL wrote:It's only more dangerous with the window down. Higher risk of losing a limb or worse if you happen to roll over.
There's a higher risk of a head injury with a closed window.

Keeping limbs inside the roll cage is what arm restraints or window nets are for, not window glass. That's why racing organizations like SCCA require them for race cars. If you're driving hard enough that there's a risk of a roll over, then you should have all the proper safety equipment for a race car.
ambordokan
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ambordokan »

You should all just ride motorcycles and stop this window up window down discussion! :)
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

GlnkNL wrote:Tried to make a comparison. Resized and moved some stuff around. Sorry for cropping the Harrys Laptimer logo out, I needed all the space :P

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNnGexlTJNA[/youtube]
How did you move the overlay parts around?
GlnkNL
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by GlnkNL »

Exported the overlay onto a empty blue screen video. Used "keying" function in Final Cut Pro to get rid of the blue. Edited the overlay with Final Cut Pro by simply moving stuff around, cropping, resizing etc. I like it better on the right side then on the left side t.b.h. The standard overlay can be a bit messy with pretty much everything on the left side where the steering wheel is as well. Of course that depends where the camera is mounted :)
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

GlnkNL wrote:Exported the overlay onto a empty blue screen video. Used "keying" function in Final Cut Pro to get rid of the blue. Edited the overlay with Final Cut Pro by simply moving stuff around, cropping, resizing etc. I like it better on the right side then on the left side t.b.h. The standard overlay can be a bit messy with pretty much everything on the left side where the steering wheel is as well. Of course that depends where the camera is mounted :)
Thanks for your detailed answer. Well done, it really looks like "out of the box".
The right side is reserved for OBD2 stuff, so the full overlay layout is pretty nice in my opinion.
Harald mentioned in a post he has prepared the overlay functionality for "skinning" or at least moving parts around. Maybe a feature we will see in the future or a Mac App feature only.
GlnkNL
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by GlnkNL »

I think most people don't use OBD stuff so the 'more balanced' view would be to have the basic stuff to the right side, especially when driver/steeringwheel sits on the left side. It would be nice to have some adjustment options in Harrys Laptimer, can't wait for future releases :)