Vibrations using iPhone on sportbike. Solutions?

Introductions and general exchange between LapTimer users; use this forum in case you want to offer LapTimer related accessories too
biggziff
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Vibrations using iPhone on sportbike. Solutions?

Post by biggziff »

I mounted my iPhone 5S on my BMW S1000rr with the Ram steering stem mount and Ram X-Grip. Video is unusable. Vibrations cause jello, focus problems, etc. Is anyone here using an iPhone on a sport bike successfully and if so, what are you using for a mount?

Thanks
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Vibrations using iPhone on sportbike. Solutions?

Post by bulls23 »

biggziff wrote:I mounted my iPhone 5S on my BMW S1000rr with the Ram steering stem mount and Ram X-Grip. Video is unusable. Vibrations cause jello, focus problems, etc. Is anyone here using an iPhone on a sport bike successfully and if so, what are you using for a mount?

Thanks
Did you disable autofocus and stabilization? If you already have it really comes down to the vibrations and the mount...can't give you advise for a bike though, only thing I ride on two wheels is a 50cc scooter :lol:
biggziff
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by biggziff »

I just found those settings in HLT. Didn't know they existed. I shut down the stabilization and turned on "lock auto focus" Question is...what distance does the auto focus lock to? I don't see a way to set it manually.

Thanks
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Point the cam to a distant position. LapTimer focusses to the center of the field of view. Furthermore I need to add that all of these settings are only "hints" to iOS. iOS will make a final decision on its own. So do not wonder if LapTimer adjusts the focus from time to time despite you have "locked" it.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
biggziff
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by biggziff »

Thanks for the tips and the warning, Harry. I tried it this AM with better results, but still not great. I'm going to use some vibe reducing foam we use in giant scale RC planes to protect our in-flight radio gear and hope to have a good result soon. Track days coming up fast for me.
Jsorrels
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Jsorrels »

Biggziff
If I may ask, how are you getting engine data. The BMW s1000rr uses a proprietary scanner.
I purchased the GSM-911 which connects by wifi with their software real time. Have not figured out how to communicate with Harry's
Any help is greatly appreciated