Vibrations using iPhone on sportbike. Solutions?

Introductions and general exchange between LapTimer users; use this forum in case you want to offer LapTimer related accessories too
biggziff
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Vibrations using iPhone on sportbike. Solutions?

Postby biggziff » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:50 am

I mounted my iPhone 5S on my BMW S1000rr with the Ram steering stem mount and Ram X-Grip. Video is unusable. Vibrations cause jello, focus problems, etc. Is anyone here using an iPhone on a sport bike successfully and if so, what are you using for a mount?

Thanks

bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Vibrations using iPhone on sportbike. Solutions?

Postby bulls23 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:43 am

biggziff wrote:I mounted my iPhone 5S on my BMW S1000rr with the Ram steering stem mount and Ram X-Grip. Video is unusable. Vibrations cause jello, focus problems, etc. Is anyone here using an iPhone on a sport bike successfully and if so, what are you using for a mount?

Thanks

Did you disable autofocus and stabilization? If you already have it really comes down to the vibrations and the mount...can't give you advise for a bike though, only thing I ride on two wheels is a 50cc scooter :lol:

biggziff
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Postby biggziff » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:15 pm

I just found those settings in HLT. Didn't know they existed. I shut down the stabilization and turned on "lock auto focus" Question is...what distance does the auto focus lock to? I don't see a way to set it manually.

Thanks

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Harry » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:22 pm

Point the cam to a distant position. LapTimer focusses to the center of the field of view. Furthermore I need to add that all of these settings are only "hints" to iOS. iOS will make a final decision on its own. So do not wonder if LapTimer adjusts the focus from time to time despite you have "locked" it.

- Harry

Image Image Image Image
biggziff
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Postby biggziff » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:47 pm

Thanks for the tips and the warning, Harry. I tried it this AM with better results, but still not great. I'm going to use some vibe reducing foam we use in giant scale RC planes to protect our in-flight radio gear and hope to have a good result soon. Track days coming up fast for me.

Jsorrels
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Postby Jsorrels » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:11 am

Biggziff
If I may ask, how are you getting engine data. The BMW s1000rr uses a proprietary scanner.
I purchased the GSM-911 which connects by wifi with their software real time. Have not figured out how to communicate with Harry's
Any help is greatly appreciated

Return to “Community”