Desktop Analysis Software

Introductions and general exchange between LapTimer users; use this forum in case you want to offer LapTimer related accessories too
ollie.m
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Desktop Analysis Software

Post by ollie.m »

Greetings from New Zealand

I am thinking about setting up my BMW circuit car with a new iphone, Harry's LT and a dual xgps160 gps antenna.

What I am wondering is what options I have to analyse the data on a desktop software such as vbox circuit tools and other similar track racing analysis tools?

I am also wondering how rich the data from the iphone IMU is compared to the data from an expensive race data logger?
Ollie
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Desktop Analysis Software

Post by Harry »

LapTimer has VBO export for Circuit Tools built in. The channels available from a XGPS160 are the same like for any other GPS bases dedicated system. It will be the same in terms of quantity and quality (but by far not as expensive).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
mousemaster
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by mousemaster »

I have been trying to use CT2 with an email Harry's .vbo file. I cannot get it to load. I have been using 10 for the rate as noted in other posts/searches.

For Harry, do you have a sample vbo available from your lap timer for me to use to troubleshoot? I am not sure if I have a setting wrong from the lap timer program or something is wrong with my CT2 program. Thank you.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please check the FAQ on VBO exports here in the Troubleshooting forum. It is mostly about problems with line end conversion between Unix (Android and iOS) and MS stuff.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

ollie.m wrote:Greetings from New Zealand

I am thinking about setting up my BMW circuit car with a new iphone, Harry's LT and a dual xgps160 gps antenna.

What I am wondering is what options I have to analyse the data on a desktop software such as vbox circuit tools and other similar track racing analysis tools?

I am also wondering how rich the data from the iphone IMU is compared to the data from an expensive race data logger?
The big difference in the IMU is the precision of the data. High quality IMU's use things like ring laser gyros rather than the inexpensive MEMS chips used in a smart phone. Higher precision means lower noise, and thus the longer it takes for the integrated data to drift. The GPS units can also be far more precise as well, 2cm accuracy rather than 2m. But you'll pay many thousands of dollars for that kind of precision. For one thing, you need a base station as well as a receiver in the car to get 2cm accuracy. Racelogic makes a three channel GPS receiver that can give you precise yaw data as well as position and speed because you can place the antennas parallel to both lineal and lateral axes of the car. And you can log things like suspension load and travel at each wheel, steering wheel position and brake pressure with a professional system if cost is no object.