First Article in a Series for my BMW CCA Chapter Newsletter

Introductions and general exchange between LapTimer users; use this forum in case you want to offer LapTimer related accessories too
karacticus
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

First Article in a Series for my BMW CCA Chapter Newsletter

Post by karacticus »

It appears the Northern Ohio Chapter may be running these as well based on talking with the newsletter editor at Mid-Ohio!

Maybe I should crowd source reviews for technical accuracy?

http://www.bmwia.org/wp-content/uploads ... letter.pdf
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: First Article in a Series for my BMW CCA Chapter Newslet

Post by Harry »

Thanks Mike, great presentation. Besides research on technical accuracy (starting point: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=459), I can provide information on the way LapTimer uses GPS to achieve highly accurate results. This is not for the plain user, but for people interested why it is possible at all to achieve acceptable timing accuracy with e.g. 1 Hz GPSes. Well - you know the audience better than I do. Video capabilities up to PiP reference videos will be by far more attractive for your readers - that's at least what I see every day.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
karacticus
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by karacticus »

I'm kind of soft pedaling the timing aspects as BMW CCA driving school events are all billed as "untimed, non-racing events," and pushing the data acquisition and display and video capabilities
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

O.k. I understand :-) Just let me know if you need some more background somewhere.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
dcampbell
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by dcampbell »

karacticus

I joined the BMW CCA Patroon chapter back in Feb. I have been to three track events so far and am signed up for two more, and looking to sign up for more. I got HLT working with multicam and been showing some of the people in the club.

You right about the anti timing stance with BMW CCA events and it has to be that way for insurance and other legal reasons. So I too have been touting the data acquisition and video recordings.

Would you be willing to allow the Patroon chapter to reprint your series on HLT in the Patroon news letter? With all proper credit of course. Also if you want some help with your articles I could assist.

I am very impressed with HLT and Harrys support and would like to see the user community grow.

Thanks,
Denis Campbell
2006 BMW 330xi
LT GP 19.0.16
Go point BT1
Gopro Black Hero3
Ipad gen3
XGPS150A
dcampbell
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by dcampbell »

I was just informed that resent rule changes in BMW CCA Northeast allows timing. I think this is only for personal data acquisition and nothing can be displayed real time to the driver.
2006 BMW 330xi
LT GP 19.0.16
Go point BT1
Gopro Black Hero3
Ipad gen3
XGPS150A
karacticus
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by karacticus »

I don't have a problem with that. I need to get the next article written!
karacticus
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by karacticus »

If you or your newsletter editor get in touch with me at mjmyers52349@gmail.com, I can send the source version of the first article with the pictures still in color.

I'm getting close to done with the second article now, mostly just pictures to go. Though I have sent the article on to Harry for a review.

If you've already got a dialog going, if you could come up with some kind of side bar article on BMW CCA policy on use of thngs like this at the clubs driving schools, that would be pretty nice to have available.

I do have to admit some hesitation at poking the bear though, in case we've been working under some kind of "don't ask, don't tell" kind of situation.
dcampbell
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by dcampbell »

DJ McArdle is the one that told me the rule change. This is for Northeast.

I would say we keep focusing on the other aspects of HLT and not the timing for now...

I will bring this to my chapter and see what they think. I just wanted to get your permission first.

Thanks!

BTW I just submitted a new track to Harry. Its not even a year old! BMW CCA Patroon was out there a couple of weeks ago to check it out and see if we could have an event there.
2006 BMW 330xi
LT GP 19.0.16
Go point BT1
Gopro Black Hero3
Ipad gen3
XGPS150A
karacticus
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by karacticus »

Second article was published. I think I can finish this off in one more.

http://www.bmwia.org/wp-content/uploads ... letter.pdf

I had Harry do a little fact checking and review this time around. Still working on getting the club to post a version on the website with color pictures-- don't miss too much on this article without color, but the graphs in the previous article's pictures would have been better in color.