Potential New User

Introductions and general exchange between LapTimer users; use this forum in case you want to offer LapTimer related accessories too
sublow
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Potential New User

Post by sublow »

Hello all,

I've got a track day booked in the next month and I'd like something to monitor my progress throughout the day. I'm thinking the standard version will fit my needs as I really just want to see how my lap time is (hopefully) improving with each session.

Is this something that can be started and just left in the glovebox/boot and stopped at the end of each session?

Also is their a list of tracks that the app knows about?

Thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Potential New User

Post by Harry »

Hi

You need to mount your iPhone in a place that has optimal GPS reception. A glovebox is not a good place and usually will not work. So please place the iPhone behind the windscreen (for cars) / windshield (for motorbikes). LapTimer Standard works in "no touch" operation, so once you have started the app, it will automatically record laps for the session (and beyond). Finally, the list of track sets defined is available here: Tracks

Hope that helps.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
sublow
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by sublow »

Sounds like it will be perfect solution. Weirdly the boot will possibly be the best place for me to position my phone as it's a coupe. I'll test it before I get to the track though.

The track I want is listed (Stowe) but it only has three stars. What does that relate to?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

For the ratings, please check viewtopic.php?f=5&t=983
Usually, this means the track set is not too elaborated and misses features like trigger directions, label positioning, split triggers, information POIs. You can refined an re-certify a track set like this at any time (not only to help the community). Again here are the details: http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Tracks.html

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

If you have a Dual XGPS150 you can place the phone in the glovebox and the XGPS will bluetooth the sat data to the phone.
You will need to be careful fitting the phone as I am not sure that Silverstone will accept sucker type mounts.
If you have a ragtop, I have an MX5 for my track toy, you can take the ash tray out of the centre console, and with a little silicon mat that you can get to stop things rattling around, use that to hold the phone, and then cover it with your arm as you pass the marshalls at the start. That works to get lap times, but you will miss all the advantages given by using the video functions.
Before going on track for the first time with HLT, I suggest you set a little route up, drive around the block and check to see:
1. You understand how it works! Sorry, not being condescending, but you are better finding out now than losing data on track.
2. Your placement of the phone works and gives you a good sat signal.

And when you get back, upgrade to HLT Grand Prix!

Enjoy Stowe!
h
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

sublow
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by sublow »

I have created my own track to test the phone placement and the software. So far it's been working brilliantly as expected. It's amazing the places you still get full gps signal I think I could throw it in a bag in my boot and it would still work!

The first track day of the year was cancelled because of snow so just waiting for my next one.