[UPDATED] Database recovery in LapTimer v15

All threads that are outdated (e. g. problem with an older version that was replaced by a new one) are moved here.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

[UPDATED] Database recovery in LapTimer v15

Post by Harry »

[UPDATE] I'm working on a solution to automate this recovery and submit it as another bug fix release soon (15.0.2). In case you can't or don't want to wait: this article is still valid.
[UPDATE] I have a beta including automatic recovery available now. Please send a note including your iPhone's UDID to receive a copy.

I have added a database check to v15 both auto repairing inconstancies if possible, and notifying the user if auto recovery is not possible in severe situations (*). This additional checks have become necessary, as the new database scheme is a lot more complex.

To prevent data loss, I recommend exporting all laps to the .hlptrl format from time to time. This is in generally the best strategy to keep your data. I personally, have my whole track history stored in LapTimer since 2001, so I really take care for this data.

In case you run into situation (*), and have no .hlptrl backup available, here are some background informations and recovery strategies you may apply (instead of deleting everything and starting over).

General Principles:
  • LapTimer stores all data in binary files ending with the extension '.pdb'. These files are located in LapTimer's Documents folder on the iPhone. The set of .pdb files located in the Documents folder represent a unit, so never exchange individual files. Instead, if you manipulate the databases like described here, always delete and replace them as a set of files
  • The Documents folder can be accessed - both on jailbroken and non-jailbroken phones using tools like iExplorer available both on the MacOSX and the Windows platform: http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer
  • My assumption is that most inconsistencies are introduced either by low main memory, or low storage memory. To release main memory (giving LT more space), it is easiest to fully reboot your iPhone. As an alternative, you may use free apps like 'System Activity Monitor' to free up main memory. To check your storage memory, select Settings->General->Usage. Depending on your use case, make sure you have at least 1GB available. In case you work with videos, add more. To free up storage memory, remove videos, music, photos.
Recovery depends on the lap data you already have recorded. In case you have a pretty fresh install - or do not care about the recordings so far, please delete the app and download it again.

In case you have data recorded already you do not want to lose, make sure you have
  • fully understood the above principles
  • iExplorer installed
  • LapTimer exited completely (check the task list)
  • enough main and storage memory (see above)
  • your iPhone connected to your Desktop Computer
In iExplorer, navigate to Apps->LapTimer->Documents. In this Documents folder, first check if you see .pdb files only, or additional .pdb.save files. In case you find .save files, LapTimer has not been finished regularly, but crashed.

In case you want to help finding the root case for data problem, copy all the .pdb and .pdb.save files in the Documents folder to your desktop and send them to me (zipped). That is an optional step.

In the Documents folder, you will find sub directories named 'recover...' To restore to one of this former versions of your database, remove all .pdb and .pdb.save files in the Documents folder, and copy the .pdb files included in one of the 'recovery...' folders to the Documents folder. Start with the latest recovery folder. In case you cannot start LapTimer successfully afterwards, repeat all steps till here and progress with the folder before.

Once you have copied the recovered .pdb files, start LapTimer from the beginning.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
cannon1000
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Database recovery in LapTimer v15

Post by cannon1000 »

Some apps have the ability to sync files to computer via iTunes. Any way to add HLTP to that list so it is easier to access the files directly without buying yet another App?

I see these apps under iTunes ->Apps ->File Sharing.
(Some apps there are Google Earth and Kindle)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Database recovery in LapTimer v15

Post by Harry »

Yes, iCloud should be the solution. BTW, the named app iExplorer is free, so no need to purchase it.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gggbell
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: [UPDATED] Database recovery in LapTimer v15

Post by gggbell »

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm currently trying to get it to come up and if I can I'll send you the crash log. It may be a while as I'm at work now, but I'll keep trying.

I don't need Lap Timer again for about a month, so I can wait for your final update but I will try to get you the log and will see if I can find the UID for you. I'm a software person myself, but don't know much about Apple devices.

Thanks very much,
Gregg Bell