[FAQ] Working with large videos on Android

All threads that are outdated (e. g. problem with an older version that was replaced by a new one) are moved here.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

[FAQ] Working with large videos on Android

Post by Harry »

It should be avoidable. I spent weeks to find a workaround but didn't find one. I finally decided to wait until Android itself is getting mature enough in the video area and switch to it's native libraries then. 4.3 and later should be fine but I haven't worked on it (or Lollipop) so far.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
vinniep670
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: [FAQ] Working with large videos on Android

Post by vinniep670 »

I'm a newbie with Lap Timer, so please be patient with my questions...I've read all the work arounds for large files on an Android device and tried them all, reducing size etc. When I save them to the folder where all Lap Timer videos are saved/stored, they don't play, however if I move them to my movie folder on the phone, they play from there...I'm really trying to use the overlay feature and am at a loss after trying every option described in this thread...(handshake & ffmpg)
I also have one video that is 1.3gb and even trying to use the overlay feature in this one, I get the message that the file is too large for the feature to work...

Any help would be appreciated as I'm getting frustrated...

Thanks,
Vinnie

Vinnie
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Probably some access limitations by late Android version. You cannot access any directory on the SD card any more. To find out the directories that can be accessed by LapTimer, check for the names given in each section of Video List. LapTimer doesn't care where a file is sitting as long as it is one of these dirs.

The current 2GB limitation is relevant for both input and output files. So if you get the message, LapTimer probably calculates a size of the output file beyond 2GB (so the input is still too large).

The good news is the limitation will (most probably) go away in LapTimer v19 - which should be available for Android in 1, latest 2 weeks.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
vinniep670
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by vinniep670 »

Thanks Harry, Look forward to the update, btw, fixed the spam filter