[FAQ] Problems with VBO export

All threads that are outdated (e. g. problem with an older version that was replaced by a new one) are moved here.
longduo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: [FAQ] Problems with VBO export

Post by longduo »

I am having an issue with the VBO exports. I did four sessions during testing last week. I have exported the data in the vbo format and loaded it into CT ok. The first three sessions are fine. The last one has some very strange lap times (much longer).

rs 07 gold
2007 runescape gold
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

LapTimer splits records into laps while driving. As CT is designed to work with logs from "dumb" loggers, LapTimer tries to recreate session logs so CT can make its own splits. Both this recreation and a different treatment of triggers may add some differences. In case you see differences, and are curious - trust LapTimer and not CT. Due to the above math, CT may work on changed data.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Harry wrote:LapTimer splits records into laps while driving. As CT is designed to work with logs from "dumb" loggers, LapTimer tries to recreate session logs so CT can make its own splits. Both this recreation and a different treatment of triggers may add some differences. In case you see differences, and are curious - trust LapTimer and not CT. Due to the above math, CT may work on changed data.

- Harry
And it doesn't work all that well for "dumb" loggers either, at least for autocrosses where the laps are not continuous. It's a real PITA to get CT to get the right number of laps and calculate proper split times even for the data on the SD card from a VBOX Sport.
mjkuhno
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by mjkuhno »

First - I want to thank Harry for what seems like a great tool. I downloaded the tool and have been getting familiar with it for the upcoming track season and am definitely impressed!

One question I have though is with the export to Circuit Tools for further detailed analysis.

I setup a 'test track' in my neighborhood with start/finish, 4 turns a split on the 'back straight' and in HLT everything seems to work. However, when I export to vbo and try to import to CT (even after removing blank lines and setting the end of line character to Windows) the import to CT doesn't seem to work.

Is there any known issue where CT requires a known 'certified' track? Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I'm trying to perform testing ahead of time so I'm familiar with the tools now and don't have to learn during a track day (enough going on!) and would appreciate any help/insight anyone can provide.

Thanks!
- Mike
9000Redline
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by 9000Redline »

Hi Harry,

I am unable to get the VBO export working at all.

I am using the latest HLT Gran Prix Edition on ios 7, tried exporting a single lap or multiple laps which produces vbo files from about 7k size to 480kb in size for multiple laps.

Initially I had various errors in Circuit Tools during import, but your instructions on page 1 of this thread helped me to remove the errors. I had to remove whitespace lines and also fix the end of lines, convert them to Windows using notepad+ as per instructions. I suspect the errors in the file were introduced by emailing the vbos via gmail to transfer them onto my mac.

Having fixed the vbos using notepad+ the vbo imports into Circuit Tools without error BUT there is no actual lap data in circuit tools. In fact I see nothing in Circuit tools. No error, no display of any data. Just an empty GUI. I did check the .vbo file in a text editor and there is data in it, so not sure what the problem is.

I'm using Circuit Tools 2.2.0.40 on Windows Vista (run through Parallels).

Any help appreciated. If there are free race analysis software out there that support CSV import I am happy to try those also. I have not found one.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please post the VBO here, maybe someone will help :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
9000Redline
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by 9000Redline »

Hi Harry,

Zip file attached with vbos :)
Attachments
Archive.zip
(150.49 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

First problem: The column names are on one row. They need to be on separate lines. That got me to a new error:

Unable to analyze file because it lacks the following required channels:

Satellites
UTC Time
Speed
Elapsed Time
Latitude
Longitude

So there is an error in the definition of the id's of the data column
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

The mistake is that you need a space at the end of each line of data before the CR/LF. There is no need, IMO, to remove blank lines or white space from the file.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Notepad++ can put the space back in. You need to select all the data lines, open the replace menu, Select Regular Expression search mode in the lower left and check the 'in selection box' for the Replace all button. Search for $ and enter a space in replace with, then Replace All. I'm not at all sure that the format for entering Start/Finish and Splits is correct either.