iPhone / iPod Compatibility Roadmap

News and updates from the author // Read only
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

iPhone / iPod Compatibility Roadmap

Post by Harry »

Hi,

The introduction of iOS6 generates a number of compatibility changes I want to take as reason for writing down the near past and future plans for compatibility.

So far my principle has been to support a single minimal iOS version and the last, current iOS. It is nearly impossible to develop and maintain a huge piece of software like LT and have an eye on every configuration - at least not with acceptable efforts. So up to v15, I kept compatibility down to iOS3.1.3 running iPhone3 ARM6 (or corresponding iPod touch) devices. Starting with v16, I raised the minimal requirement to iOS4.2.1 as this is the last iOS supported for this early ARM6 devices. Maintaining the completely outdated 3.1.3 has been simply too cumbersome.

Apple drops ARM6 support (all current processors are ARM7) in its iOS6 development tools. This means ARM6 devices will not be supported once I issue the first version of LapTimer focussed on iOS6. This release will be LT v16.5.

As it is not possible to offer several version for one app on AppStore, this means iPhone3 owners will neither get updates to higher versions, nor will they be able to purchase a new version of LapTimer. In case you have an iPhone3G and want to use LapTimer, you need to purchase / update LT as soon as possible. Version 16.5 will be available within a few weeks.

Current LapTimer compatibility roadmap

Code: Select all

LapTimer v15.x.x -> iOS3.1.3 to latest version, ARM6 and ARM7 devices supported
LapTimer v16.0.x -> iOS4.2.1 to latest version, ARM6 and ARM7 devices supported
LapTimer v16.5.x -> iOS5.1.1 to latest version, optimized for iOS6, ARM7 devices supported
iOS / Latest Device Compatibility

Code: Select all

iOS 3.1.3 -> iPhone (original, ARM6); iPod Touch (1st generation, ARM6)
iOS 4.2.1 -> iPhone 3G (ARM6); iPod Touch (2nd generation, ARM6)
iOS 5.1.1 -> iPod Touch (3rd generation, ARM7); iPad (original, ARM7)
iOS 6.0.0 -> iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5; iPod Touch (4th & 5th generation); iPad 2, iPad (3rd generation), all ARM7
Please do not take this as bad messages, it is to give you transparency you hopefully honor. It is not possible to generate innovation on the software side without updating hardware from time to time too.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Spinnetti
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: iPhone / iPod Compatibility Roadmap

Post by Spinnetti »

Understood... Time marches on.... New 5 on order :)
zhenya
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by zhenya »

Thanks Harry.

Can you confirm for us whether the current version is compatible with iOS 6 on older devices (or the new iPhone 5 for that matter) or should I wait to update until you release 16.5?

Thanks!
KiSwiSje
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by KiSwiSje »

let's face it - the older models have pretty weak gps reception - making it near impossible to get decent results
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

zhenya wrote:Thanks Harry.

Can you confirm for us whether the current version is compatible with iOS 6 on older devices (or the new iPhone 5 for that matter) or should I wait to update until you release 16.5?

Thanks!
My tests using iOS6, an iPhone4, and LapTimer v16.0.6 have not shown issues so far. To be in the save side, you may wait one day. We will receive feedback in case iOS6 generates problems within the first 24 hours after iOS6 release - if they exist. :-)

I will report on iPhone5 compatibility of v16.0.6 as soon as I receive mine.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Now, with a first look into iOS7, I need to update my compatibility roadmap for LapTimer.

The iOS7 user interface looks nearly completely different compared to iOS6 and before. Although this is highly appreciated from an end user's perspective (I like it a lot more already - and things need to change from time to time to stay "fresh"), it will generate a lot of work for developers of a specific app type... This specific app type is one that mixes native iOS elements, and adds additional - similar looking - and custom replacements mimicking iOS style. Oddly, LapTimer fully falls into this category.

As staying with the old style is not an option at all, I will move to iOS7 layout fast. It is possible to support both styles (iOS6 and 7) side by side - but generates another huge amount of work and maintenance efforts. So I need and want to go for an iOS7 only strategy starting with LapTimer v17.5. LapTimer v17.5 is planned for autumn 2013 (same time as public availability for iOS7 is expected), and will bring a major redesign of video recording handling (videos will be recorded in background, no need for the Video View as primary timer view any more).

To use LapTimer v17.5 and beyond, it will be necessary to update your iPhone / iPod to iOS7. iOS7 is supposed to be available for all iPhone4s and later. This in turn means LapTimer v17.5 will not be available for the currently supported iPhone3GS devices any more. So please plan your hardware updates accordingly.

- Harry

P.S. Please do not mix up the current version 17.0.5 or 17.0.6 with the above mentioned 17.5. All versions starting with 17.x with an x smaller than 5, will have full iOS 5.1 and iOS6 support.
Image Image Image Image
johmei
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by johmei »

I read that iOS 7 will support iPhone 4 and above as well as iPad 2 or newer. Hope this is the case as I am currently using iPad mini, iPhone 4 & 5 for video recording and timing.

Will Multicam have the same requirements of iOS 7 in the future? I would recommend having as wide support as possible for multicam as many of us will be using older shelved iDevices as multicams!

Thanks
BMW 335i E92 - iPhone 6 paired with Dual XGPS150A as HLT master, Optrix XD5 cased iPhone 5 and Optrix HD cased iPhone 4 as multicams.
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Might be a stupid question...but just to be sure:
Will it be the same for the Multicam App? Meaning we also can't use old devices as additional cams anymore (because it's due to the switch to iOS7 and not the hardware requirements of the Multicam App)?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I understand the point MultiCam should probably have a priority to run on "old" devices. Not an easy topic as it is the same code base as LapTimer. I have tested the current LapTimer version (same for MultiCam) on an iOS7 developer device today. Actually it is a mess as it appears half iOS7 and half iOS6. :-( Maybe I will provide a separate app ported to iOS7 and keep the old MultiCam version for those not moving - without providing updates.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
3L-auto-ja
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by 3L-auto-ja »

johmei wrote:I

Will Multicam have the same requirements of iOS 7 in the future? I would recommend having as wide support as possible for multicam as many of us will be using older shelved iDevices as multicams!

Thanks
good point!

willy