iPhone / iPod Compatibility Roadmap

News and updates from the author // Read only
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: iPhone / iPod Compatibility Roadmap

Post by Harry »

Update on iOS requirements for LapTimer v17.5

I'm nearly finished with the iOS7 port... This has been quite a big investment (3 weeks full time work), I'm curious how many apps will be fully updated to iOS7 look & feel... Porting LapTimer over to iOS7 has been comparable tough because all front ends needed to be redesigned and realigned. It is not my style to keep old paradigms when a new one is around, so this port is creates a really different user experience. Furthermore I completed the skinning so all views are available in black on white (the new default) and white on black (for night drives).

The good news for iPhone3GS owners is, LapTimer v17.5 will keep full iOS6 support (and actually look mostly like the old version). So this is a correction to my former post in this thread. One thing I will drop for iOS6 users is text 2 speech as I have removed the external English library and switched to the iOS7 multi language interface (much much much better). This in turn will make the app a lot smaller - although size increases due to double artwork for iOS6 and iOS7.

Thought that might be interesting for you, stay tuned.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Really impressive the App will still work with a 3GS. I'm not concerned, but it shows how you approach and program things and a lot of developers wouldn't even bother with a 3GS at this point. Thumbs up!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks Bulls, there is actually another reason I kept support currently ;-) You won't believe how many iterations it took me to design and draw LapTimer's current sceuomorphic dashes (namely Classic, and Speedo). It was simply to hard to throw them away. :-D

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Lestat1795
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Lestat1795 »

Will Laptimer v18 work on iOS 6?

I really don't want to upgrade my Iphone 4s and Ipad mini 1 to iOS 7 because I fear that it will make them slow and useless.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, but it will probably be the last major version to support iOS6. Furthermore, almost all testing and new interface design is done using iOS7. This means things will sometimes not look as fine tuned as for the latest iOS.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image