LapTimer v22 roll out this week

News and updates from the author // Read only
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

LapTimer v22 roll out this week

Post by Harry »

Dear friends of LapTimer,

We have just started LapTimer v22 roll out. The wave is starting with LapTimer Petrolhead. The Android version will get available in a few hours, the iOS version will need to pass Apple's review first. Expect 24 to 48 hours here. All other LapTimer editions plus Harry's Camper, Sailor, GPS/OBD Buddy will follow later this week.

The list of changes is listed below.
Welcome to version 22 of Harry's LapTimer. This major release has a special focus on faster and broader sensor support. As a special feature, you can define the data storage rate independent from sensor update rates. As an example, even the internal GPS can give you smooth 10 Hz recordings now. A detailed list of changes is available below. Please report any issues directly to Harry@gps-laptimer.de or post on forum.gps-laptimer.de.

Sensor Handling
- Variable recording rates using splined interpolation (e.g. 5 or 10 Hz)
- Full brake pressure support
- Refactored existing code to allow flexible configuration
- Automatic bus type detection, all optimizations are done automatically
- Support for custom PIDs, formula based evaluation (experimental)
- Added support for physical ECU addressing, major speed improvement
- Improved OBD debugging support
- Further update rate improvements
- End to end sensor data queuing minimizing real time effects
- Support for extended channels: gear, odometer, brake pressure, individual
wheel speed, steering wheel angle and rate - requires scripting or
custom PIDs
- Support for ReDrive sensor
- Support for Cycling Speed and Cadence (CSC) sensors
- Disabled generic sensor configuration
- Support for VC601 TPMS sensors (experimental)

User Interface
- Lots of User Interface refinements
- Hall of Fame filtering by Group
- Further iPhoneX layout improvements [iOS]
- Edmunds support removed (discontinued by Edmunds)
- Support for low rpm vehicles
- Precision wheel circumference settings
- Added Smart Bike section to Vehicle Details

Video
- Added brake pressure to video overlays

Accessories
- Update to watchOS 3.0 (no functional changes)
- Added entries for HERO6 BE and HERO 2018

Special fixes
- Fixed "decoder busy" issue
- Avg. speed calculation uses standard configuration track length
- Full session video overlays improved

Optimizations, fixes, and minor improvements all over the place.
Enjoy!

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
micblom
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: LapTimer v22 roll out this week

Post by micblom »

I forgot what was the best way to update from the Beta-Version, may you enlighten me? 8-)
991GT3
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by 991GT3 »

Hi Harry,

What do I have to change to get the brak pressure on my 991.2 GT3?I‘m using the Kiwi3.

Thx
jdexter
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by jdexter »

Not sure where to post problems. I have this on an ipad mounted in my car's dash. It is jailbroken so it turns on and off with the ignition. My version of ios is 9.0.3 if remember correctly. The new update will not work on my ipad. It tries to load then just fails. I tried deleting the app and reinstalling, but it still fails. Is the new app compatible with older ios? Or is there something else I need to do to get it to work. Thanks.
rbpeirce
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rbpeirce »

Braking at last. I can hardly wait. My daughter posted a video from VIR using V22 and the braking info was great. On a future release you ought to consider separate windows for throttle and brake, but that is only a minor point.
2012 Porsche Cayman R
2016 Audi A7
eddy_mane
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by eddy_mane »

Does this means that even the internal iPhone X GPS can run at 10Hz? Do I need to change some settings to enable this? Is the hardware actually capable of running at 10Hz?

Thank you and keep the good work up!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The GPS hardware is 1 Hz hardware - this can't be changed. What LapTimer does is that a so called cubic spline is modeled through the 1 Hz measurements.

This results in a smooth line matching reality better than simply connecting the measured points by lines. Once the spline is calculated, LapTimer will store points in this spline using a configurable rate. The default is GPS rate (1 Hz for the internal GPS), but it can be set to 5, 10 or more Hz too. The benefit is, that other sensor data coming in at higher rates will not get lost but stored with the interpolated new positions. I recommend to use 5 Hz for 1 Hz input. This feature is enabled in Expert Settings - it is considered experimental currently.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

991GT3 wrote:Hi Harry,

What do I have to change to get the brak pressure on my 991.2 GT3?I‘m using the Kiwi3.

Thx
I do not know if custom PIDs are available for Porsches. In case someone has them available, I'm happy to support their use. Custom PIDs are not publicly available for most makes. Exceptions are Ford and GM engines.

As long as the brake channel is not available for LapTimer, v22 will calculate braking from negative longitudinal acceleration (taking speed and air drag into account). Not precise, but better than nothing. ;-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

micblom wrote:I forgot what was the best way to update from the Beta-Version, may you enlighten me? 8-)
Once a version above 22.0.0 gets available on the store, it will be installed.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

jdexter wrote:Not sure where to post problems. I have this on an ipad mounted in my car's dash. It is jailbroken so it turns on and off with the ignition. My version of ios is 9.0.3 if remember correctly. The new update will not work on my ipad. It tries to load then just fails. I tried deleting the app and reinstalling, but it still fails. Is the new app compatible with older ios? Or is there something else I need to do to get it to work. Thanks.
Like late LapTimer v21 versions, LapTimer v22 has a minimal requirement of iOS 9.3. The initial version 22.0.0 had a bug that crashed LapTimer on OSes below 10. Version 22.0.2 fixed that (but introduced another problem that will be fixed by 22.0.3). You can try this 22.0.2, it should show the same compatibility requirements as v21. Versions before 9.3 are not supported - jailbroken devices are not supported either. ;-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image