Announcing Harry's App Developer Program

News and updates from the author // Read only
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Announcing Harry's App Developer Program

Post by Harry »

Dear LapTimer users,

Over the last ten years, I have added support for external sensors and action cams continuously. This has made LapTimer an incredible powerful tool with a broad range of external devices supported.

Any integration comes with efforts to add code and test it, as well as preparing sometimes complex test environments including hardware. Furthermore, every new release requires so called regression testing to keep things running.

The demand for new device support has always been huge. No week I do not receive a dozen of questions from LapTimer users like "is XY supported by LapTimer".

As resources are limited here ;-) I always had to select scenarios to support, and had to drop or queue others. Decision making criteria have been "strength of demand", "innovation potential", and "support by partner / manufacturer". I think this has been acceptable for most, but it certainly not optimal for every user.

After considering several options to improve this situation (like implementation partnerships, even more Expert Settings, etc), I have decided to make Harry's apps "scriptable". This means 3rd parties can add their own integration, test and market it, and get it included into e.g. LapTimer production versions. All but the last step can be done without my involvement and using a quite powerful platform.
In case you are interested in scripting LapTimer et al, please have a look into the introduction to "HarrysLua" available now. To get your hands on more documentation, the developer forum, and to get early access, please drop my a mail to Harry@gps-laptimer.de. The developer program depends on your feedback and I'm happy to add features required. It starts with focus on sensor integration, but should go to action cams next.

I'm looking forward to technical innovation added by you!

HarrysLua Introduction (ignore the OBD II chapter in the beginning).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
MrBlah
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Announcing Harry's App Developer Program

Post by MrBlah »

will you be moving all of the existing hardware support into lua scripts?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Announcing Harry's App Developer Program

Post by Harry »

I have ported some to check scripting feasibility, but think I will have a mix from hard coded and scripted ones.

Harry
Image Image Image Image