News and updates from the author // Read only
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Status of HERO5 support

Post by Harry »

[UPDATED STATUS FOR FINAL v21]

Hi,

I get plenty of requests for HERO5 Black and HERO5 Session support, so here is a short status:
  • The HERO 5 generation of cams is not supported officially for LapTimer v20.
  • The HERO 5 Black works using LapTimer v20's HERO 4 Black/Silver setting.
  • LapTimer v21 (Spring 2017) will add support for HERO5 Black cams.
  • LapTimer v21 will not support HERO 5 Session cams, we will probably add support later in 2017.
For more information on using action cams, please read Video Documentation available from http://www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation. It includes a lot of details and cam specific step-by-step descriptions.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
OnboardTV
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: Status of HERO5 support

Post by OnboardTV »

I have access to all models of GoPro, will be happy to help any way I can.
phil9417
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by phil9417 »

I've used the GoPro 5 Black on a few track days.

It seems to work the same as the GoPro 4. I just set it up with the same settings as Hero 4.

Triggering the start of recording doesn't always work. I think this is the same issue as with the Hero 4 where the Gopro wifi will go into "sleep" mode and still show being connected.

I have worked around this by turning the GoPro on and off about a minute before the start of recording. Anything longer than a few minutes, the wifi will go to sleep. The problem is very annoying as I will occasionally miss a track video recording because the start is not triggered. But once recording is started, it holds wifi connection until the stop is triggered.

There has to be a way to make this work consistently... GoPro uses bluetooth connection to start/stop recording remotely. Otherwise maybe there is a way to disable wifi power saving?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

There is an unofficial way to wake it up using BT LE. The HERO4 Session uses a different approach for wake ups from power saving - which is supported by LapTimer.

Once you select External Cam or Internal + External Cam in LapTimer's Video Operation dialog, the cam will not go to sleep again. So start the cam, connect the smartphone to the WiFi, start LapTimer and turn on external cam in Video Operations. Once this is done, there can be an arbitrary time until you start.

But yes, it is annoying.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Elurztac
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Elurztac »

Hi Harry,

I have a Hero 5 Black and go to the track next February 26. If you want to add me to your beta version on iOS it will be a pleasure.

I tested it with Hero4 option and it seem to work. But not sure at 100%.

Have a nice day !
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks! The call for beta testers will be posted here on the forum. Please join once it is live.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Elurztac
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Elurztac »

No problem my friend !
Hope it can be before the 26 :mrgreen:
Elurztac
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Elurztac »

Hello Again, it's me

Just one question, I just discovered this morning the ability of the GoPro Hero 5 to add a very soft Telemetry on it :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeLx9NC2E18

Does it on the scope to use the GPS on the GoPro Hero 5 in the futur, and not the phone GPS ? It could be more easily to use (because we can just put the phone on the pocket or anything else and use everything from the GoPro (GPS/G-Force/Video) and ODB for the rest.

My two cents, actually :D

Thanks Harry !
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No plans to support this. The biggest handicap when using action cams is battery live. I do not think it is a good idea to add more load on it without good reason. I do not see any spec on the GPS quality so far either.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Elurztac wrote:Hello Again, it's me

Just one question, I just discovered this morning the ability of the GoPro Hero 5 to add a very soft Telemetry on it :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeLx9NC2E18

Does it on the scope to use the GPS on the GoPro Hero 5 in the futur, and not the phone GPS ? It could be more easily to use (because we can just put the phone on the pocket or anything else and use everything from the GoPro (GPS/G-Force/Video) and ODB for the rest.

My two cents, actually :D

Thanks Harry !
You can already use an external GPS, like the Dual XGPS160. That's not why you can't put the phone in your pocket. HLT collects the accelerometer data from the phone. That's why the phone needs to be mounted firmly to the vehicle in a fixed orientation, ideally as close to vertical as possible. The acceleration data from the phone is a lot better quality than what you would calculate from GPS fixes, although that option is available if there is some problem with the accelerometer data.

That's also one reason why I'm not a big fan of Circuit Tools. It always ignores the accelerometer data and calculates acceleration from the GPS data. If you have a VBox Sport collecting at 20Hz, it's not awful. For lower frequency GPS data, it gets rapidly worse.