Status of HERO5 support

News and updates from the author // Read only
kawasaurex
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Status of HERO5 support

Post by kawasaurex »

Can the LapTimer app handle 2 GoPro cameras to control? I know the GoPro/Quik camera can control more than 1. At the moment I have a Hero3 BE and will be purchasing a Hero5 BE to add to my inventory and would like to know if controlling more than 2 GoPro's is possible.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

kawasaurex wrote:Can the LapTimer app handle 2 GoPro cameras to control? I know the GoPro/Quik camera can control more than 1. At the moment I have a Hero3 BE and will be purchasing a Hero5 BE to add to my inventory and would like to know if controlling more than 2 GoPro's is possible.
Not currently. You can remote control one but need to operate the second manually. GoPro just provided the option to connect to more than 1 cam, I cannot say yet when this feature will get available for LapTimer.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
kawasaurex
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by kawasaurex »

Thanks for the reply Harry.

I'm assuming you have latest GoPro's SDK as I see on the GoPro's website that using the Camera Toolkits for iOS/Android(https://developer.gopro.com/info) will control multiple cameras via Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). Hopefully you have time to add this feature soon.

-Robert
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, I'm aware but not using it currently. GoPro focusses a lot on the latest line and on premium models only. LapTimer's current implementation supports HERO 3/3+/4 and the lower cost options (HD, LCD, etc) on top of the HERO 5 line. Integrating the API is on my list nevertheless - as an alternative.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
joe8888
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by joe8888 »

I was wondering if there was any progress on supporting the Hero 5 Session? Been looking on the forum and docs but didn't see any further info on it.

We tried to use it and were able to connect to it from Android app, but can't seem to get the video to start and integrate properly.

Thx, J
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Actually I had planned to integrate GoPro's SDK into LapTimer for v22 to support all late HERO cams. Oddly, they have just shut down the developer program - so I need to see if adding Session 5 and HERO 6 support is possible. Please watch upcoming v22 announcements.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
to.rben
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by to.rben »

Harry, I did purchase Grand Prix Edition (iOS) early in last year’s season to accompany with my Kiwi3 and my Hero5 Session to be used in multiple track days in a Lotus Elise. I was hoping for support of the Session for this season. But there is still nothing. Should I sell the Session? Am seriously thinking about switching to a Garmin Virb Ultra 30. But then, the advantage of the Virb’s internal 10Hz GPS again seems not usable for HLT, correct?

It would have been nice if either the Session was supported soon or if the switch to Garmin brought another nice benefit of being able to leverage the better GPS for HLT.

Thanks for your thoughts on this,
TS
dmo2002
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by dmo2002 »

Harry, can you give us an update on 'if or when' you might address the support of Hero 5.