Status of HERO5 support

News and updates from the author // Read only
Elurztac
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: Status of HERO5 support

Post by Elurztac »

Understood ;)
Thanks for the complemental information.
rrankins
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rrankins »

Did some basic testing the other day with the new Hero 5 Black.
Using the Hero 4 Black option it seemed to start and stop recording just fine when I started and stopped recording with HLT.
Only thing that didn't seem to work was importing the video from the Hero 5 directly into Laptimer, although maybe this didn't work with the Hero 4 either (I never tried it).
It worked fine to import the video to the iPhone with the GoPro capture program and then import the local video into laptimer.
phil9417
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by phil9417 »

rrankins wrote:Did some basic testing the other day with the new Hero 5 Black.
Using the Hero 4 Black option it seemed to start and stop recording just fine when I started and stopped recording with HLT.
Only thing that didn't seem to work was importing the video from the Hero 5 directly into Laptimer, although maybe this didn't work with the Hero 4 either (I never tried it).
It worked fine to import the video to the iPhone with the GoPro capture program and then import the local video into laptimer.
A work around for this is taking the micro SD card out of the camera and copying the video to your phone using the Apple SD card reader. There's also generic compatible SD card reader for $20 or less.

After you copy the video, associate the video to the session in lap timer. The card reader copies the video much quicker than any wireless connection.

One thing I've noticed is Laptimer will re-compress the video on overlay so it will reduce video quality because of the 2nd compression (compressing an already compressed video) and also lowers the video bitrate. It's ok, but the original GoPro video quality is much better. This may be a Apple limitation.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

To change a video frame by frame you need to decode (uncompress) and encode it again (compress). That's not an iOS or software limitation but simply a consequence of working with non-lossless formats (like H.264 or audio formats like mp3 or AAC). It is the same when you use a video editor on your PC.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
garyj0nes
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by garyj0nes »

So if I'm going to buy a GoPro to work with LapTimer which model should I buy? Is it best to just go with the Hero 4 Silver? I already have a Hero session which I've tried but have issues (as we know) with the connection.

Gary
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Safe bets are HERO 4 BE/SE, HERO 4 Session, and HERO 5 Black. The HERO5 Session is not yet supported. In case you are still facing issued with the Session 4 - this should be sorted out for some time already?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
garyj0nes
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by garyj0nes »

Thanks Harry.
I didn't have much success with the Hero session last track day. I also did quite a bit of testing yesterday just at home. The connection to the wifi on the GoPro doesn't stay set. So once you get it connected and ready the wifi connection dies. Then when you start the recording on the app the Session recording doesn't start. I noticed as well one time the Session locked up and I had to reset it by holding the On button and the Menu button. I'm wondering if it could be my GoPro or even my phone connection (Galaxy Note Edge) with the goPro wifi. I did have one test where the connection started up, stayed connected and the recording worked just fine. But its not often I can get that to happen. Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

This rather sounds like an individual configuration issue. Please make sure the Session has the latest firmware. And please make sure GoPro's app is not active in background. I'm not aware of any issues with the Session 4 / Galaxy combo (except the usual issues with wireless connections).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
wbrian200
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by wbrian200 »

I just picked up HLT recently, and have been trying to get it sorted with my GoPro 5 Hero Session before my next track day, and preliminary results are looking good for me at least, on a Samsung Galaxy S6. I am very new to tracking my car and gathering data, but I think I finally understand the function between all of my devices (Galaxy S6, Garmin Glo, Hero 5 Session, OBDII LX) and how they are working together. I'm currently overlaying a short video which will be finished soon. Based on my previous attempts, I have a good feeling this one is going to be what I'm looking for. If so, I will post it on you tube and link it.
wbrian200
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by wbrian200 »

I think I'm pretty close on getting what I want out of this. Again, this is using the Hero5 Session. The below video is my first decent video/overlay result. The timing is off about a second, and the update rate for the ODB data is a little jumpy. It was worse initially, as the update rate under the sensors activity was showing a rate 1-2 hz. I played with some of the OBD settings in the advanced section and got it up to 5-6 hz, but that still isn't quite as smooth as I'd expect...still a little jumpy, as you can observe in the vid. When I access the rate through the ODBLink app, it is showing a rate of 11-12. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!