"Wivel" crowd funding live

News and updates from the author // Read only
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: "Wivel" crowd funding live

Post by Harry »

No updates from my side, please contact them directly.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
totoshe
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by totoshe »

Ok, no response from Wivel.
I bought a Race Capture this way.

Thx Harry.
HiFiGuy
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by HiFiGuy »

Based on the FB page, it looks like they might be close to releasing some units. It seems like a really promising unit. I'd love to get my hands on one and see how it works in the real world. @Harry, is there any chance we will be able to utilize the full 50Hz of the GPS in the Wivel?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I will try to provide best support possible (once it gets available).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

50Hz is completely unnecessary, especially if there aren't enough significant figures in the position data. All you'll get is multiple replicates of the same position and then a shift and more multiple replicates. Maybe if you were going 1000KPH...
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

More detail: At 50KPH, you're traveling at 13.9m/s. So at 50Hz the position change would be 0.3m per reading. This is about an order of magnitude less than the accuracy of consumer GPS, so noise will be a high percentage of the change in position reading. At 200kph, the change on position will be about 1.11m per reading. This is somewhat more reasonable if you're trying to calculate speed and acceleration from the GPS data as is done in Circuit Tools. Personally, I would only use Circuit Tools with GPS data from a Vbox at 20Hz. The resolution, precision and filtering of the Vbox is superior to the XGPS160 and far superior to the Emprum Ultimate if you have enough satellites in view. I'm not all that impressed with the GPS in the RaceCapture/Track either. I wouldn't set that higher than 10Hz.

I do like the inclusion of a barometer to measure rate of change of elevation in the Wivel. Perhaps they will also have a GPS as good as the Vbox. I'm not at all sure it's worth the money to find out, though.

Edit: After going to the indiegogo wivel page, I think this project is dead. It's listed as closed at the top of the page and the links for placing orders are not active. The last update was April 26 when it was claimed that shipping of the first units would happen in 60 days. That would have been late June. It's now mid August.
Blackfrosch
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Blackfrosch »

The units are in production. And obviously 50hz is marketing, but I believe that wivel will work great with harrys laptimer - so no need to connect ,three sensors
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Blackfrosch wrote:The units are in production. And obviously 50hz is marketing, but I believe that wivel will work great with harrys laptimer - so no need to connect ,three sensors
Then how come they're not for sale? And they've been 'in production' for about a year now.
Blackfrosch
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Blackfrosch »

today they received the housing - they said that they are very close to release...
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Did they ever release this adapter? Just checked and I can't find any buying options on their web site or on facebook.